8mm or 10mm Friction Cord?

Payner1975

Evening all,

Sorry if this seems an obvious question, but what the heck, here goes.

I've been rec climbing now for about 2 years. Hoping to do my cs38 later this year. I have been using 13mm Marlow Gecko with a 10mm e2e with a knut and a hitch climber, which seems to work well for me (although I appreciate it's not currently used in a "work" scenario). I am after a new climbing line and I was looking at purchasing some 11.7mm Yale Blue Tongue. My question is this, is it written in stone that you must use 10mm friction cord on 13mm climbing line and 8mm friction cord on anything smaller? Or is it just that these combinations have been proven to work best together? I understand that there are many climbing systems/devices out there and that different climbing systems work better with certain rope/hitch combinations, but does personal choice come into play, have any of you mixed it up so to speak and then found it works better or worse than the "recommended " combination. I would like to continue with the knut/hitch climber combo and wanted to make the right choices. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you are willing to share.

Cheers

Chris.

I used to climb on the hitch climber until i found the joys of the zigzag.As far as ive found there is no rule writen or unwriten to say a certain diameter of hitch cord has to be used with a certain diameter of rope,(although minimum is 8mm).Ive never used yale blue tongue but from what i gather from others its a great rope.

You will have to experiment what type of hitch cord works well with blue tongue.Sometimes even the hitch you use will determine how effective the hitch is on your choice of rope.

For example i used a distel hitch on stein copious 8mm cord but found it bit too hard and was difficult to move when weighted,but it ran smoother when i went to a VT or knut.

Go reccy climbs and experiment with different combinations of cord and hitches.

Good luck and welcome to climbing...its addictive eh!

I was told on my 38 to give 3mm difference between hitch cord and climbing line. I currently climb on 13mm xtc fire with a 9mm marlow boa cord tied into a distel hitch climber setup. It does tend well but has a tendency to lock up now and again. I also use the same cord/knot when climbing bigger trees using 11.7 rope. It's a marlow rope, could be aeris. This tends beautifully but the only downside I find the rope too bouncy.

As said above reccy climbs, trying cord/lines in arb shops and hitches etc make all the difference

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

Evening all,

Sorry if this seems an obvious question, but what the heck, here goes.

I've been rec climbing now for about 2 years. Hoping to do my cs38 later this year. I have been using 13mm Marlow Gecko with a 10mm e2e with a knut and a hitch climber, which seems to work well for me (although I appreciate it's not currently used in a "work" scenario). I am after a new climbing line and I was looking at purchasing some 11.7mm Yale Blue Tongue. My question is this, is it written in stone that you must use 10mm friction cord on 13mm climbing line and 8mm friction cord on anything smaller? Or is it just that these combinations have been proven to work best together? I understand that there are many climbing systems/devices out there and that different climbing systems work better with certain rope/hitch combinations, but does personal choice come into play, have any of you mixed it up so to speak and then found it works better or worse than the "recommended " combination. I would like to continue with the knut/hitch climber combo and wanted to make the right choices. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you are willing to share.

Cheers

Chris.

8mm friction cord and 10mm climbing line minimum, mix and match see what works what works for some doesn't for others due to weight grip etc. If you are using rope on rope it costs next to nothing to try all the friction ropes under the sun. I think rope choice is more important when running a device on it.

8mm friction cord and 10mm climbing line minimum, mix and match see what works what works for some doesn't for others due to weight grip etc. If you are using rope on rope it costs next to nothing to try all the friction ropes under the sun. I think rope choice is more important when running a device on it.

Pretty sure the minimum industry standard for Arb mainline is 11mm.