Hitting the HAIX: Arbor Venture pro puts new boots through their paces

HAIX Footwear UK

John Trenchard, assessor and a verifier for Lantra and co-founder of Arbor Venture Training Ltd with over 20 years’ experience is testing the HAIX Protector Forests ahead of the APF show - so is he impressed?

From childhood farms to forests, Arbor Venture Tree Care’s John Trenchard is no stranger to the outdoors, so he was quick to swap his usual boots for the HAIX Protector Forests earlier this year.

Having started working for his father on the family farm and helping his grandfather with tree clearing, John learnt to handle a chainsaw at an early age, so it comes as no surprise that he now has more than 20 years’ experience in the tree care industry.

Nowadays for John there is no typical 9-5 working week. He divides his time between working as an arborist, a verifier for Lantra Instructors and training the new generation of arborists with Arbor Venture Training Ltd which he co-founded in 2005.

Based in the beautiful surroundings of Hampshire’s New Forest, Arbor Venture Training is a sister company to Arbor Venture Tree Care and a Lantra verified training provider of chainsaw and tree climbing courses for beginners right through to those wishing to brush up on the latest techniques.

It was while working for Arbor Venture Tree Care that John first trialled the HAIX Protector Forest boots during the removal of some beech trees and as he says himself, “I haven’t swapped them back since!”

John soon discovered the Protector Forests are nimble with a good sole and grip. “When I first opened them I noticed they came higher up the ankle than competitors’ boots for greater support and this made me think they would be quite stiff”, John explained “but they are really very comfortable and capable when I’m climbing. They’re also great value for money.”

It is not uncommon to find that comfort is overlooked when it comes to choosing the right safety boot. Cost is often favoured instead but this can lead to discomfort for workers and they don’t last as long as more expensive alternatives. Cheaper is not always better.

As John rightly said: “The fact that I know they will last means I’m willing to spend that little bit extra because it will pay off in the long run.” A short term cost saving can lead to more regular purchasing of replacement boots as well as foot injuries and discomfort, all of which distract from the task at hand. It’s therefore important when choosing the right boot that you keep in mind the long term benefits, as well as ensuring that the boot offers the most important features for you.

According to the Health and Safety Executive’s chainsaw PPE requirements, safety footwear should have “good grip and protective guarding at the front vamp and instep.” However, as with any PPE and as per the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992, it should be a last resort that is implemented after a risk assessment and attempts have been made to eliminate or reduce the hazard.

As a sector, forestry workers face numerous hazards every day, including the use of machinery and tools, lifting and moving, repetitive movement and loud noise forming just some of the stated causes of non-fatal injuries. The risk of injury from machinery and tools was present in 80% of agricultural, forestry and fishing sector workplaces, while slips, trips and falls are the most common non-fatal injury in the agriculture, forestry and fishing sector with 22% of cases.

When choosing the right safety boot it makes sense to check that you are not investing in unnecessary safety features. If the only hazard that you will encounter is slipping, it’s most unlikely that your boot will need to have a steel toe cap. With the right features, you can be sure your HAIX boots will be providing long term comfort and safety.

It is this assurance that has led John to wear HAIX boots for more than 10 years. As he explains: “My first pair of HAIX were black leather in 2002. HAIX have always had a reputation for making good forestry boots and they were extremely durable and comfortable, but unfortunately not so good at gripping the tree. HAIX has improved a lot since then though.”

Keep checking back for the next installment of John Trenchard's Protector Forest trial to read his resounding opinion.

To find out more about HAIX and to purchase HAIX boots, visit http://www.haix.co.uk or a HAIX distributor.

Edited by HAIX Footwear UK