sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a bigger point is this.

He is working up to 5 days regularly from what I can tell?

If this is the case he's not a subby.

Therefore he should be employed paye.

Then he gets his holidays ppe etc etc.

Then if the rate stays the same it's not so bad is it?

I don't get this subbing thing, eight or nine years ago Persimmons built a load of houses in the next village over from us, a lot of the lads who worked on that site used to come in the pub, they all claimed to be subbies, they were there full time for about five years. How do they get away with it?

No it wouldn't be to bad if he was being paid holiday pay and getting his kit paid for.

Edited by eggsarascal

I don't get this subbing thing, eight or nine years ago Persimmons built a load of houses in the next village over from us, a lot of the lads who worked on that site used to come in the pub, they all claimed to be subbies, they were there full time for about five years. How do they get away with it?

That's cscs I think. Is that not one of the reasons for it in the first place ?

To stop builders using subbies and the government not getting its tax.

I think that's what the builders did to get round full time employment of these people?

Tell me about it then Felix. Can construction workers sub for long periods to the same company?

S'pose I could search google.:sneaky2:

AFAIK, only if they are bona fide sub-contractors as opposed to free-lance labour(commonly mis-identified as 'sub contractors'). To be a bona fide subcontractor, they would need to be running a part of the contract (identified by criteria such as responsibility and reward) as opposed to just turning up Monday to Friday and getting on with it. :001_smile:

AFAIK, only if they are bona fide sub-contractors as opposed to free-lance labour(commonly mis-identified as 'sub contractors'). To be a bona fide subcontractor, they would need to be running a part of the contract (identified by criteria such as responsibility and reward) as opposed to just turning up Monday to Friday and getting on with it. :001_smile:

Gotcha, Al.

This is where something falls down though. The lads I mentioned were labour only AFIK (although I've no way of proving that). Seemed most of them worked for a company that subbed them out to the developers. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

I'll try my best. If he's working 11 hour days he's just over the minimum wage, age dependent. Buying his own gear and running it probably puts him under the minimum wage, does it not?

If he's skint £80/day is better than now't, it's not ideal though, is it ?

I agree with what you say if that was the case, i.e. 11 + hours on a regular basis for a flat £80 per day but from what has been said by Ross and of course Jimmy that isn't always the case. Not always 11+ hours and according to Jimmy (who I have no reason to doubt anymore than I have reason to doubt Ross) extra hours are compensated for either in cash or knocking off early on subsequent days.

You appear to be making the assumption that Ross works more than 8 hours/day on a regular basis without getting any additional benefits. That may well be the case but equally it may be way off the mark.

Like I said at the outset I suspect that we don't know the whole story, only what the respective parties want us to know. All I'm saying is lets look at how £80/day actually compares with the oft mentioned NMW/NLW, on a 40 hour week it compares quite well IMO but of course as I've already said it can always be better and £90 a day would certainly be an improvement or an extra £10/hour if the work goes over the basic 8 hours.

Some people want it all their own way. Wouldn't wash around here I'm afraid.

That would apply in equal measure to employee as well as employer would it not?

Tell me about it then Felix. Can construction workers sub for long periods to the same company?

S'pose I could search google.:sneaky2:

Construction workers can work for years for the same client.

It's what I do. Tbh, I looked at the criteria of when an sub contractor is really an employee reducing income tax. I thought I was clearly an employee, however I spoke to two accountants and they both said I was a sub contractor....

Tbh, this thread shows why Brexit should be a good thing. I'm surprised how little arb workers are paid.

Anyone remember 20 years ago there was no hand car washes and cars were washed by machines? It was only when we got mass migration that hand car washes became economic again.