sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one for the fence then Mr Eggs!

It makes me laugh, no scrub that, it makes me angry that anyone thinks it's acceptable to have a self employed bloke using his own gear out of the house for 13 hours a day for £80. Saying that Ross doesn't have to do it....... Or maybe he does?

So Ross is employed as a groundman? it doesn't matter what he's qualified for he gets paid the rate for the job he does. Climbing to gain experience? again if that's his choice he can decide to climb or not given the rate of pay as he isn't employed as a climber.

Working hours? commuting time is irrelevant, it's time at or available for work that counts so say 7.00am the clock starts. Personally I feel that the clock stops when he's back in the yard so if that's 6.00pm then that's 11 hours work and should result in an increase in the daily rate, (just my view and possibly incorrect)

It appears he can and does work elsewhere but has the option of 5 days work with the guy he's talking about if he wants it. To me it looks like he has the option of a virtually guaranteed £80 per day when he isn't needed elsewhere so that's a nice safety net, no need to source work, no need to deal with non-paying customers etc etc. and a potential £400 per 5 day week.

Is the guy he subs for willing to take him on as a full time employee at the same daily rate? would he take full time employment at that rate, £80/day.

In the end I suspect we're only getting the information that both parties want to reveal, whether that's the whole story is another matter.

As for what is a fair daily rate, the reality, like it or not is that local average wage will dictate what you can actually earn rather than what the industry believes you should earn.

So Ross is employed as a groundman? it doesn't matter what he's qualified for he gets paid the rate for the job he does. Climbing to gain experience? again if that's his choice he can decide to climb or not given the rate of pay as he isn't employed as a climber.

Working hours? commuting time is irrelevant, it's time at or available for work that counts so say 7.00am the clock starts. Personally I feel that the clock stops when he's back in the yard so if that's 6.00pm then that's 11 hours work and should result in an increase in the daily rate, (just my view and possibly incorrect)

It appears he can and does work elsewhere but has the option of 5 days work with the guy he's talking about if he wants it. To me it looks like he has the option of a virtually guaranteed £80 per day when he isn't needed elsewhere so that's a nice safety net, no need to source work, no need to deal with non-paying customers etc etc. and a potential £400 per 5 day week.

Is the guy he subs for willing to take him on as a full time employee at the same daily rate? would he take full time employment at that rate, £80/day.

In the end I suspect we're only getting the information that both parties want to reveal, whether that's the whole story is another matter.

As for what is a fair daily rate, the reality, like it or not is that local average wage will dictate what you can actually earn rather than what the industry believes you should earn.

Ok, let's go with your 11 hours a day. £80 works out at £7.27/hour, just over the minimum wage for an employed person (depending on age), less wear and tear on his own kit/PPE.

Can you see where this is going?

When you knock a bit off for his kit he's probably working for less than the minimum wage.

Edited by eggsarascal

Ok, let's go with your 11 hours a day. £80 works out at £7.27/hour, just over the minimum wage for an employed person (depending on age), less wear and tear on his own kit/PPE.

Can you see where this is going?

I did say that 11 hours should IMO result in an increase in daily rate. So £80 for an 8 hour day = £110 for an 11 hour day = £10/hr.

I'm assuming that the employer offers £80/day for a Subbie groundman, we don't know what rate an employee groundman is on.

Like I said we're possibly not getting all the facts.

Edited by R Mac