sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was you I'd be looking for a job with the local council. A lot of organisations like hospitals/ colleges etc employ groundstaff. How about trying them?

The council dosnt seam to do tree work much think its mostly contract work with them and will try them out cheers

What kind of contract have you signed? Subbies are free agents, they come and go as the work dictates. The tax man has rules about sub contract work. An employer cant call you a subbie if you are full time for them ad infinitum. They have to employ you on the books with sick pay holiday pay PPE provided and such like that may be "inconvenient" to them.

Hi can I ask for some clarification on the sub contractor issue?

I'm self employed with insurance, CS 30, 31, 32, 38, 39, have all my own equipment including saws, use my own fuel, nothing is supplied to me but I get regular work from one client ( I have and still sub for another guy)

I work 3 days most weeks for my main client but not every week, (some weeks I work 2 days or maybe none as I'll go to the other guy) and start and finish the same time as the permanent employees for the main client.

I basically don't want to be employed as an employee, had too many years of that in my previous job. While I have the tickets I don't have experience not seeking advice on day rates, just on whether I can be forced to be an employee rather than self employed.

Thanks.

I'm self employed with insurance, CS 30, 31, 32, 38, 39, have all my own equipment including saws, use my own fuel, nothing is supplied to me but I get regular work from one client ( I have and still sub for another guy)

I work 3 days most weeks for my main client but not every week, (some weeks I work 2 days or maybe none as I'll go to the other guy) and start and finish the same time as the permanent employees for the main client.

I basically don't want to be employed as an employee, had too many years of that in my previous job. While I have the tickets I don't have experience not seeking advice on day rates, just on whether I can be forced to be an employee rather than self employed.

Thanks.

Not sure where I got it from but I have it in my head that you need to avoid a set pattern of working for one client eg every Monday and Tuesday (smacks of being a part-time employee) and you need more than just a couple of firms that you freelance for (I'm thinking 4 but again I couldn't swear to where I got that from). :001_smile:

Thanks.

When you say "client" do you actually mean the home/tree/estate owner that you are doing the work for, or do you mean the company/outfit that tells you where and how to go and do the work on a task they have sourced? You seem to use the term "client" for one and "I subby" for another, it's a bit confusing....

When you say "client" do you actually mean the home/tree/estate owner that you are doing the work for, or do you mean the company/outfit that tells you where and how to go and do the work on a task they have sourced? You seem to use the term "client" for one and "I subby" for another, it's a bit confusing....

When I'm working for a client I mean fairly regular work for one person sourced by me and run under my trading name/insurance etc, subby is when I do work for a tree care company, personally sourced 'One off' jobs I'd class as, well to be honest i'm not sure what I class them as, jobs perhaps?

Guys,

Let me put another side to this story to you, Ross came to me looking for work and at the time i was looking to add to my ground staff so gave him a trial as a groundie. He did ok so gave him the opportunity to work as a groundie sub contractor whenever he required work as I do with various other sub contractors, The rate of pay we offer for a groundie with only Cs 30/31 is £80 which was his choice to accept which he did.

Yes Ross has climbing ticket CS 38/39 but was not employed as a climber but what was put to him was that if you wanted some climbing experience, then when we could we would get you on the trees. Ross chose to use his own kit and equipment for when these opportunities come up.

Insurance is provided for all employees and sub contractors that work under us, ross was advised by myself that if he was going to carry our tree work for himself then he would require liability insurance.

I have been branded on here as a bad employer who is taking the piss, So let me put my side to you.

I spent 22yrs in the military, when i got out i retrained into this industry and started a whole new chapter in my life I put out letter after letter to try and get work experience and tried to get employment. I got one chance from a guy on here who offered £60 per shift which i was grateful for but after time decided to start out on my own.

I have now built a successful business and have employed many people and have worked for many large organisation, Andy Clark on here can vouch for this. I have always given people a chance no matter how little experience they have as how else will they get the experience.

I give work experience to a local charity organisation that helps underprivileged kids, I give work experience through the council for school leavers.

I put Sub contractors onto courses that helps both the company and the individual, IE woodchipper,trailer towing, EFA+f,cscs, dumper,digger ext.

I offer sub contractors that have worked with us for a period of time the opportunity to go full time onto the books, some have accepted this but most guys want the freedom to pick and choose when and who they work for.

So to finish up I hope maybe you see me in a different light, I am anything but a bad employer or a piss taker. So in future before you decide to destroy someones reputation, remember there are different sides to a story. There have been various members of my teams wanting to get on here and put there views across on the employer that We are which i hope they do.

Guys,

Let me put another side to this story to you, Ross came to me looking for work and at the time i was looking to add to my ground staff so gave him a trial as a groundie. He did ok so gave him the opportunity to work as a groundie sub contractor whenever he required work as I do with various other sub contractors, The rate of pay we offer for a groundie with only Cs 30/31 is £80 which was his choice to accept which he did.

Yes Ross has climbing ticket CS 38/39 but was not employed as a climber but what was put to him was that if you wanted some climbing experience, then when we could we would get you on the trees. Ross chose to use his own kit and equipment for when these opportunities come up.

Insurance is provided for all employees and sub contractors that work under us, ross was advised by myself that if he was going to carry our tree work for himself then he would require liability insurance.

I have been branded on here as a bad employer who is taking the piss, So let me put my side to you.

I spent 22yrs in the military, when i got out i retrained into this industry and started a whole new chapter in my life I put out letter after letter to try and get work experience and tried to get employment. I got one chance from a guy on here who offered £60 per shift which i was grateful for but after time decided to start out on my own.

I have now built a successful business and have employed many people and have worked for many large organisation, Andy Clark on here can vouch for this. I have always given people a chance no matter how little experience they have as how else will they get the experience.

I give work experience to a local charity organisation that helps underprivileged kids, I give work experience through the council for school leavers.

I put Sub contractors onto courses that helps both the company and the individual, IE woodchipper,trailer towing, EFA+f,cscs, dumper,digger ext.

I offer sub contractors that have worked with us for a period of time the opportunity to go full time onto the books, some have accepted this but most guys want the freedom to pick and choose when and who they work for.

So to finish up I hope maybe you see me in a different light, I am anything but a bad employer or a piss taker. So in future before you decide to destroy someones reputation, remember there are different sides to a story. There have been various members of my teams wanting to get on here and put there views across on the employer that We are which i hope they do.

I don't think anyone destroyed your reputation, did they?

No one knew who Ross's employer was until you told us. Or have I missed something again.