sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

Quite.

Ross, Dig out whatever paperwork you have. Tax stuff, any "contract" or communications between you and the company, evidence of other work you've done, receipts for saws, PPE, servicing etc.

A save all my invoice to them and all texts and only baught new ppe when a started working with them and all my tax and natunal insurince and recits are all with the accountendt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the hours you suggested, the pay and supply of your own kit etc...

You'd be at or below min wage?

Either yr boss is bloody tight or that's as much as he's willing to pay for what you deliver (not suggesting yr not delivering, just trying to see both sides.)

Only you can KNOW, but there's a fair ground swell of opinion here that smells something potentially a bit hooky!

Unless you're loving it, simple maths suggests you'd be better off doing something else... Unless there's a potential to progress?

A love doing tree work but there is no potential to progress and a dont think he would be willing to pay for what i do and a try my best day in day out and dont just mess about a dive in and try help everyone or try make the job easyer on everyone and safer too

You are an employee, whether your boss thinks you are or not. You need to have a difficult conversation with him which might not go well. At the moment you are missing out on holiday pay, sick pay, paternity pay, pension and ppe, as well as wasting money on insurance which you don't need and which wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim. I would get some professional advice on your status and talk to your insurance company to get their take on it. Sorry it's not better news.

Had a convostion with him last week or week before and he statied that i was a subby or self employed becouse a was takeing days off and working with other guy and he said he offers me 5 days of work and exspects that i work them and i relice that i know am missing out on all them and i have not got the money for incurice as most of my pay is going on food for me and my family and the house bills fule to get to work and back home and for my tax and natinal insurinces and whare would be the best place to see proffinal help and thanks for the advice a relly appreshate it

'Sorry it's not better news.'

I personally think it's great news, he now understands that his is earning under minimum wage after everything is accounted for and has the tools to carve his own future as a self employed bloke. He'll never take any work for granted in the future because he understands what the lowest climbing pay bracket is and can work up from it.

Make sure to check out the employment forum and stick a post up there. If you have all your own competencies, kit, loler etc take a 'weeks holiday' and do a weeks work with someone else and get to know local blokes in your area away from your current stranglehold.

Good luck with it :)

I personally think it's great news, he now understands that his is earning under minimum wage after everything is accounted for and has the tools to carve his own future as a self employed bloke. He'll never take any work for granted in the future because he understands what the lowest climbing pay bracket is and can work up from it.

Make sure to check out the employment forum and stick a post up there. If you have all your own competencies, kit, loler etc take a 'weeks holiday' and do a weeks work with someone else and get to know local blokes in your area away from your current stranglehold.

Good luck with it :)

Been on lowest pay before it was 50 a day to the highes and it was on the books and 20,500 a year then back down to this crap wage i will be calling around local places and see if i cqn get my own work and try other people out and thanks for the advice

Had a convostion with him last week or week before and he statied that i was a subby or self employed becouse a was takeing days off and working with other guy and he said he offers me 5 days of work and exspects that i work them and i relice that i know am missing out on all them and i have not got the money for incurice as most of my pay is going on food for me and my family and the house bills fule to get to work and back home and for my tax and natinal insurinces and whare would be the best place to see proffinal help and thanks for the advice a relly appreshate it

Apologies if I have misunderstood you. Do you work for this one person 5 days a week or are you working for different people as well? If you are working for other people then you are a freelancer, not an employee (other than from the point of view of insurance, as you would always be working under the employer's insurance unless you were on your own job), and so not entitled to the benefits of employee status. As a freelancer, you are entitled to set your own rate and decide who you work for and when. If you work for the one person every day then you are an employee and entitled to all those benefits. I would still advise you to seek the advice previously mentioned. Hope that is a bit clearer. :001_smile:

Apologies if I have misunderstood you. Do you work for this one person 5 days a week or are you working for different people as well? If you are working for other people then you are a freelancer, not an employee (other than from the point of view of insurance, as you would always be working under the employer's insurance unless you were on your own job), and so not entitled to the benefits of employee status. As a freelancer, you are entitled to set your own rate and decide who you work for and when. If you work for the one person every day then you are an employee and entitled to all those benefits. I would still advise you to seek the advice previously mentioned. Hope that is a bit clearer. :001_smile:

A work for the same guy everyday and if the outher guy a get work from needs me a work with him and yes thats a lot clearer thanks for the help