sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

If you want some advice on what your contract means, you could get a solicitor to explain it to you. If you don't want to pay a solicitor, university law departments often have free law clinics. Students are usually supervised by practising solicitors so the advice you get on low level stuff like this will be fine. https://www.lawclinic.org.uk/ is the one google found first in Glasgow. Best of luck with it.

That's assuming it is a pukka contract. In this case its quite possibly some old tripe the bloke has made up and called a contract :laugh1:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's assuming it is a pukka contract. In this case its quite possibly some old tripe the bloke has made up and called a contract :laugh1:

Quite.

Ross, Dig out whatever paperwork you have. Tax stuff, any "contract" or communications between you and the company, evidence of other work you've done, receipts for saws, PPE, servicing etc.

With the hours you suggested, the pay and supply of your own kit etc...

You'd be at or below min wage?

Either yr boss is bloody tight or that's as much as he's willing to pay for what you deliver (not suggesting yr not delivering, just trying to see both sides.)

Only you can KNOW, but there's a fair ground swell of opinion here that smells something potentially a bit hooky!

Unless you're loving it, simple maths suggests you'd be better off doing something else... Unless there's a potential to progress?

Do you organise any of the work you do eg where or when you work? Do you provide anything other than your personal kit eg truck and chipper, other members of staff? Do you get any part of the profit from the job other than your day rate? If the answer to these questions is no, you do not need Public Liability cover as you are freelance labour(although in your situation I would argue strongly that you are an employee and your employer is dodging his responsibilities to you with regards sick pay and holiday pay, ppe etc). In fact, you are wasting your money because your insurer would not pay out. :001_smile:

I just get told when am at the yard the go to the job and get told niht before to be at the yard everyday and a just provied climbing kit and saw and ppe thats it as a dont drive yet and everyone ells is the same as me but only have 2 people on the books and a dont get any profit just tips if a get them and only get my day rate.

If you want some advice on what your contract means, you could get a solicitor to explain it to you. If you don't want to pay a solicitor, university law departments often have free law clinics. Students are usually supervised by practising solicitors so the advice you get on low level stuff like this will be fine. https://www.lawclinic.org.uk/ is the one google found first in Glasgow. Best of luck with it.

Cheers a will look it to that

I just get told when am at the yard the go to the job and get told niht before to be at the yard everyday and a just provied climbing kit and saw and ppe thats it as a dont drive yet and everyone ells is the same as me but only have 2 people on the books and a dont get any profit just tips if a get them and only get my day rate.

You are an employee, whether your boss thinks you are or not. You need to have a difficult conversation with him which might not go well. At the moment you are missing out on holiday pay, sick pay, paternity pay, pension and ppe, as well as wasting money on insurance which you don't need and which wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim. I would get some professional advice on your status and talk to your insurance company to get their take on it. Sorry it's not better news.

You are an employee, whether your boss thinks you are or not. You need to have a difficult conversation with him which might not go well. At the moment you are missing out on holiday pay, sick pay, paternity pay, pension and ppe, as well as wasting money on insurance which you don't need and which wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim. I would get some professional advice on your status and talk to your insurance company to get their take on it. Sorry it's not better news.

Listen to Alan he knows what he is talking about .