Polesaw for forestry work

Treadlight Forestry

We need a telescopic polesaw for forestry work.

Choice seems to be Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo:

Husqvarna Pole Saws 525PT5S

Petrol telescopic pole pruners | STIHL

Echo ppt-265es Long Reach Power Pruner

I used the Stihl HT 131 today and it worked well.

I have the Echo PPT-265ES on demo tomorrow.

Anyone used the Husqvarna?

Had two STIHL ones and bent them both. Echo is more solidly built and you can add in an extra shaft. Also has a hedging blade as well.

Best pole saw i've found is a silky on a stick. Change the blades ones they get dull and i much prefer them to the powered kind.

Ok had the Echo out on demo for the last two days.

It is more solidly built than the Sthil but did not feel as quick.

It does the job but god its heavy after a few hours!!

Based on my aching arms I have started looking at the battery Husqvarna.

Husqvarna Pole Saws 536LiPT5

It is only 6.2 kg inc battery and has the motor at the saw head end so no drive shaft to fail.

But will it last a days work in the woods with no hope of charging?

They claim 1 battery = 1 fuel fill.

Based on that 3 batteries would get me through the day. But will it?

That all depends on what you feed it. Cutting 10 inch branches will drain the battery in no time. But when you use it the way it's supposed to, the amount of cuts will amaze you. Don't blame the saw becaus of its design. When you go into the forest with a petrol powered machine you take petrol with you.

I have 7 batteries for the Husqvarna saw. But never needed more than five.

Just try it with two batteries and don't forget a regular pole saw.

Wolter

The main thing to watch is pinching the chain, with them being so lightweight it is very easy to bend them

Very easy to do. Can bend a bar pretty easily too.

You thought about a efco the head then be tilted though 90*

I've an Efco and only used the tilty head once when it was fairly new. Didn't find it that much use and have only ever used it fixed since. The Efco has been great from the throttle trigger backwards, the engine always starts (I know I've just jinxed it) and never had any problems with it. From the throttle forwards though.......... :thumbdown: couple of new shafts, new gear box, lack of oil to the chain. Don't know if it's any worse than any of the others though. Adjustment on the shaft can go very tight too, we always carry a filter wrench if using it to free it off if needs be.

Had two STIHL ones and bent them both. Echo is more solidly built and you can add in an extra shaft. Also has a hedging blade as well.

Best pole saw i've found is a silky on a stick. Change the blades ones they get dull and i much prefer them to the powered kind.

Always need a silky on site when using a powered model anyway as they always get stuck at some point.