Docma VF80 winch or PWC5000 winch, any users?

R Mac

I'm considering getting a portable capstan winch, have it down to either the Docma VF80 with a 2 stroke Solo engine or the Portable winch Co. PWC5000 with a 4 stroke Honda engine.

My head says PWC5000, my wallet says VF80, the PCW5000 costs about £350 more but doesn't come supplied with a rope, the VF80 comes with 100m of rope.

I'm considering getting a portable capstan winch, have it down to either the Docma VF80 with a 2 stroke Solo engine or the Portable winch Co. PWC5000 with a 4 stroke Honda engine.

My head says PWC5000, my wallet says VF80, the PCW5000 costs about £350 more but doesn't come supplied with a rope, the VF80 comes with 100m of rope.

We sell the PCW5000 and really rate it.

I use one daily in my contracting business.

The accessories you can get for it are brilliant and make it very versatile.

I like the look of the VF80 but have not used one.

The PCW5000 is rated at 1000kg and the VF80 is rated at 815kg.

Might be worth searching the Facebook tree surgery sites on this subject as i read some interesting points regarding your very question some months back.

Basically some lad was saying he has done alot of work with a couple of those capstan winches and reckons he preferred the 2T (2 stroke) model over the 4 stroke as there was issues with the 4 stroker tilting over to one side and possibly starving the engine of oil.

I'd really like one too but there is a 2 stroke variant that will tug 1800kg (straight pull) and 3600kg with a 2-1 advantage.

Alot of money but this would be my choice.

[ame]

[/ame]
  • Like 1

Basically some lad was saying he has done alot of work with a couple of those capstan winches and reckons he preferred the 2T (2 stroke) model over the 4 stroke as there was issues with the 4 stroker tilting over to one side and possibly starving the engine of oil.

The PWC5000 does need to be kept level (although the smaller PWC3000 doesn't) but it'll cut out rather than starving itself of oil, I'm guessing that's because it's a Honda generator engine and they're designed to stop if the oil level is too low. If the winch isn't kept reasonably level the sensor thinks the oil level is low and shuts the engine down.

The VF-80 looks very good, although the single line pull is only 815kg compared to the PWC5000's 1000kg it has a line speed just over 2x that of the PWC5000 so double lining it'll still be slightly faster but have a pull of 1630kg (theoretically at 13 m/Min)

I feel the 4 stroke will have more torque and better long term reliability, running a 2 stroke at full throttle with a heavy load just doesn't sound right to me.

The PWC5000 does need to be kept level (although the smaller PWC3000 doesn't) but it'll cut out rather than starving itself of oil, I'm guessing that's because it's a Honda generator engine and they're designed to stop if the oil level is too low. If the winch isn't kept reasonably level the sensor thinks the oil level is low and shuts the engine down.

The VF-80 looks very good, although the single line pull is only 815kg compared to the PWC5000's 1000kg it has a line speed just over 2x that of the PWC5000 so double lining it'll still be slightly faster but have a pull of 1630kg (theoretically at 13 m/Min)

I feel the 4 stroke will have more torque and better long term reliability, running a 2 stroke at full throttle with a heavy load just doesn't sound right to me.

LOL what you've written above don't sound right to me either! It's the gearing etc that takes the 'full load', if 2T enjuns weren't up to 'full load' use then they wouldn't be so popular and wouldn't be used in......chainsaws:001_smile:

I'll see if i can find that info on Facebook and link it to ya as it's relevant. Personally i wouldn't wanna be concerning myself about the motor tilting sideways and cutting out, as i'd just wanna get the job done. Think the one i'm raving on about has a better throttle control which drops the revs right back if you let go of the rope, thus not glazing it.

[/color]

LOL what you've written above don't sound right to me either! It's the gearing etc that takes the 'full load', if 2T enjuns weren't up to 'full load' use then they wouldn't be so popular and wouldn't be used in......chainsaws:001_smile:

Well I take your point, it just sounds brutal when you hear the 2 stroke winch running flat to the mat for any length of time, on a saw at least there are periods when you're throttled back. I know the gearing takes the load but only up to the point where the load is close to the limit, eventually the motor will stall and for me a 4 stroke just has the edge in torque.

I'd suggest that power to weight ratio is what makes 2 stroke motors the engine of choice for chainsaws, once you get into actual load on the engine or running full throttle for extended periods of time and weight isn't a major factor 4 strokes tend to be the preferred choice, I guess that's why 4 stroke generators are more common than 2 stroke ones.

Really struggling to make my mind up on this one.

VF-80

815kg Single Line Pull @ 26 m/Min

Lighter - 10.5kg against 16kg

Rope included

Runs same mix as saw

+2x line speed of PCW5000 - 26 m/Min against 12 m/Min

Semi Auto Throttle

No need to Keep Level

PCW5000

1000kg Single Line Pull @ 12 m/Min

Honda 4 Stroke Reliability

Line can be locked off

Cheaper Running Costs

Proven?

On paper the VF-80 looks like a hands down winner so why do I still lean towards the PCW5000 :confused1:

It's getting close to toss a coin time (make it best of 5) :biggrin: