Bathroom Worktop Treatment

crobinson

Hi All,

I've got some lovely 2 1/4" Ash for a new worktop for a bathroom - the sink will be a freestanding bowl to sit on top of it. I'm also going to make some floating shelves out of the offcuts once the worktop is jointed.

What is the best treatment to seal it from the moisture?

I want to stain it slightly to fit with the darker beams and floor, but then seal it - ideally with a matt finish.

Many thanks,

you could use a matt epoxy but i'd be tempted to use loads of coats of danish.

once the 4th or 5th is dry then it's fairly water proof just don't let water sit on it for too long as it can mark it. if it does then it only needs a brief sand with very fine grit or scotchbright and another coat applied.

Best stuff I think would be Rustins Plastic Coating , for a Matt finish just flat it back with fine abrasive or wire wool , it is very hard wearing and water resistant , not sure what stains you intend to use but if it is wax based then you will have problems trying to apply anything after it ...

Best stuff I think would be Rustins Plastic Coating , for a Matt finish just flat it back with fine abrasive or wire wool , it is very hard wearing and water resistant , not sure what stains you intend to use but if it is wax based then you will have problems trying to apply anything after it ...

I think Shendy was experimenting with this for a kitchen top may be worth asking how his top came out?

Liberon finishing oil is what I use on virtually all of my woodwork , ( excellent stuff ) but I have found that small water splashes leave a slight dull mark , easy to put another coat on though , but the Rustins Plastic Coating is like a liquid melamine which is much more water durable .