Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

I think you're spot on. Shoukd have been : Climbed and dismantled, dismantled by MEWP, get a crane in work with MEWP, then if the first three were for some reason not possible close off the road and attempt the fell. Looks like a classic bodge to try and save time.

Can't see the hinge so can't comment.

Lombardies catch the wind like ship's sails though, I'd say that was a big factor.

No one was hurt, that's the main thing.

That's about the size of it .. The tree could of been totally riddled with hornet moth and the stem just mush despite they are the most sail like of trees to work on and in that wind they should of left site and gone home or too another job in those gusty conditions ... Ironically I've heard a horror story first hand of what was expected to be done at this company and it is far worse than the above scene but you would of thought some sort of protocol would of been inforced after any serious incident but I guess it would of been swept under the carpet like this one will be.

I'll be interested to see how the AA handle this.

Their scheme was something we looked into getting on. Lot of expense and jumping through hoops, but arguably worth it...

... Until you see a video of this type of work in the public domain performed by an Approved Contractor.

It's easy to see what went wrong. The tree should have been dismantled and what happened is a disgrace. Simple.

The Arb Assoc should be over that company like a fat kid on a chocolate!

You are confusing what happened and what went wrong.

What happened is clear to see, its fact and history and as such, cant be changed. What went wrong is a systematic failure and that is what can and should be changed.