Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

To me every thing looks wrong, from the position of the hinge (see as he's walking to the tree), from where the truck is with the pull line where I guess they where aiming for.

Personally I would of felled along the tree line had two ropes up one to act as an anchor .

Pull line looks nice and high why not not the top out first ?

What I do find worse personally is the lack of public control , I would of asked for cars to be removed and public well away. Also looks like they were understaffed for the job.

Only my opinion tho, but we'll never know it's all a guess.

If you work in this game long enough that will happen to you at some point. However there are some points that can be taken from this video.

Given the weather conditions and the species, was this ever going to be a safe fell? Probably not.

Using a vehicle to pull over a tree is ok but is suspect that the truck was positioned on the road for reasons of grip, a snatch block positioned on the other side of the grass area would have been a better idea, the truck could then have stayed on the road. (Assuming that there was a suitable anchor)

The worst thing about this incident is the pedestrian management, there is a guy on the pavement very close to where the tree lands, the camera man is then allowed to walk right up and into the crown of the felled tree. There doesn't appear to be any traffic management either, although no cars come..

If you work in this game long enough that will happen to you at some point. ..

Surely the longer you've been in the game the less likely it is to happen, although we do all make mistakes.

To the untrained eye the whole thing looked an utter shambles.

If you work in this game long enough that will happen to you at some point.

Ah well, that's okay then. We'll keep on going til it happens.

No it should never happen in an open public area. We all need to look at things like this, understand what could have occurred, (with trees there's never a one solution fits all circumstances) and do our damnedest to make sure it don't happen again. Education and experience go hand in hand. If it can't be done with safety as paramount then do it another way. - section fell for instance. It always seems great and productive to whop it down in one, but sure takes a lot of cleaning up afterwards.

Surely the longer you've been in the game the less likely it is to happen, although we do all make mistakes.

To the untrained eye the whole thing looked an utter shambles.

Or the longer your in the game the more your prone to lapses in consentration cause its what you do every day.

I like to call it a brainfart