Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

I think during a dismantle there's loads of times things can go wrong.

During a fell there's only one time.

You always need to work out how badly that one time could work out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Nail.Head Bolam.

That is exactly why I never bother with a face cut,tight rope and full throttle in from the back.After all,the Tree always hinges from its Roots.

Lots of different perspectives been put forward on this thread, very good food for thought.

From points of level of training, accreditation, weather conditions, bad working practice, even target deadline pressures to inexperience.

The one thing no one has mentioned is the "lets smash it out and go home" mentality. Very often when guys "turning up for a day's work" will take shortcuts.

I'm sure we can all recollect incidences of national Co's, local authorities etc trucks parked in lay-bys, running home early because they've pulled a quick one.

Having experienced this myself when shirkers lose respect for the company they will try and line their own pockets, in what ever way they think they can get away with.

As a direct result of this, things will go wrong.

Just another point as food for thought.

Lots of different perspectives been put forward on this thread, very good food for thought.

From points of level of training, accreditation, weather conditions, bad working practice, even target deadline pressures to inexperience.

The one thing no one has mentioned is the "lets smash it out and go home" mentality. Very often when guys "turning up for a day's work" will take shortcuts.

I'm sure we can all recollect incidences of national Co's, local authorities etc trucks parked in lay-bys, running home early because they've pulled a quick one.

Having experienced this myself when shirkers lose respect for the company they will try and line their own pockets, in what ever way they think they can get away with.

As a direct result of this, things will go wrong.

Just another point as food for thought.

I do take exception to the dig at local authority and big company's as generally they are tied to a set working day and I have found the crash it out and go home early are the smaller company's .. .????

In my experience there has been less pressure to get the job done within budget and the only bad accident (that I recall) I have ever had due to underpricing was a badly underpriced private job that was badly staffed and way way way underpriced and we did not have another spare day to finish it.. Which is generally not the issue for bigger company's

I have seen a lot more understaffed and no signs cones ect and no exclusion jobs from little firms than the bigger ones

Good points though:confused1::confused1:

Yes, I have noticed you based your whole reply on my comment on my few words of "having experienced this myself"!

Are you saying though that the smash out and go home was DEFINATELY not a factor?

Also, are you saying you have never seen or experienced this happening?

I've worked for LA's Bob, and the work was always by the book.

As a small company I will always look for the quickest method to get us ogling barmaids at the earliest opportunity, because we always work job and knock.

My reputation is on the line, however, which is basically my future revenue stream, so we do strive pretty hard not to break stuff or endanger lives.

Big companies?

You're way off the mark there my friend.

The pressure these lads are put under to 'meet targets' can be immense, and I know they're salaried.

The team leader for this incident possibly called head office and was told the fell was a go by a spreadsheet with a human voice.

As long as greed and lowest tender bids prevail stuff like this will happen on a daily basis, it's just normally at a less newsworthy level.

That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

I've worked for LA's Bob, and the work was always by the book.

As a small company I will always look for the quickest method to get us ogling barmaids at the earliest opportunity, because we always work job and knock.

My reputation is on the line, however, which is basically my future revenue stream, so we do strive pretty hard not to break stuff or endanger lives.

Big companies?

You're way off the mark there my friend.

The pressure these lads are put under to 'meet targets' can be immense, and I know they're salaried.

The team leader for this incident possibly called head office and was told the fell was a go by a spreadsheet with a human voice.

As long as greed and lowest tender bids prevail stuff like this will happen on a daily basis, it's just normally at a less newsworthy level.

That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

Couldn't agree more with that post greed is very damaging!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

About 15 years ago I know of a very similar accident from a certain firm that is making the news when they dropped a poplar on one of the main train lines out of London.

The guy who told me had stopped falling due to heavy un favourable wind...

Basically he was sitting in the van when the site super visor asked what the hell was going on and why where they not felling the trees as they needed them on the deck to meet dead lines but the crew refused so the supervisor grabbed a saw ... Next thing is there is a tree caught on the high voltage lines jumping and burning with intercity trains speeding underneath it and the formans hopping up and down crying..

It interests me why people consider time pressure could have contributed greatly to this tree . Why is that ?

You would of come back on a day with favourable conditions... Not just for felling climbing also , Lombardy is unlike black or hybrid in terms of its holding wood abilities it's even more brittle and twice as sail like so I think to any one who said they would of climbed it in those gusts has never done a big Lombardy in heavy wind.