Chilling ( Chinese Milling )

Lazurus

The wing nuts supplied didn't fit the hole they had tapped for them, luckily I had some smaller ones laying around.

Other small things mainly to do with rough edges.

Guess I was lucky, apart from putting a couple of o rings on to stop the chain guard rattling a bit. No issues. Must be a Wednesday special!:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

First "On Site" milling yesterday, got a call from a local farmer who said he had a "bit of oak for ya". Well yes he had, 25" diameter by 20` long fairly straight oak trunk, neatly placed on the grass margin. So methinks, turning up with my little mill and my trailer, I need a bigger saw!!!! However I have managed to buck the trunk into lengths that I could manhandle. I did manage to mill a couple of them but as they are for turning blanks I then cut them in half to remove the pith and at least be able to carry them to the trailer.... just. A few more trips needed to clear the lot back to the workshop for more finishing.

The upshot of this is I have the greatest respect for you guys who do this every day. It was hot, grubby and bl00dy hard work, and I only do it for fun. It is very different on site when you need to touch up a chain, fill the tanks, and clean the filter of a saw, knee deep in dust and chippings and a long way from the workshop. Having to move the timber by hand granted, no mechanical help.

Saying that the little Chinese saw kept on going almost none stop for a good few hours, 5 liters of fuel through it and only got a rest when I needed a fag! Now sat in the office, with sore back, stiff knees and various bumps and bruises.

Again my hat off to you.

I think there might be quite a few alaskan mills that get one outing and are never used again when the owner realises just how hard going it can be.

Don't get me wrong the mill was fine, it was just too small for the logs I had to deal with, but as a hobby it is hard to justify a bigger mill and saw at the mo, but I am working on the SWMBO. :thumbup:

First "On Site" milling yesterday, got a call from a local farmer who said he had a "bit of oak for ya". Well yes he had, 25" diameter by 20` long fairly straight oak trunk, neatly placed on the grass margin. So methinks, turning up with my little mill and my trailer, I need a bigger saw!!!! However I have managed to buck the trunk into lengths that I could manhandle. I did manage to mill a couple of them but as they are for turning blanks I then cut them in half to remove the pith and at least be able to carry them to the trailer.... just. A few more trips needed to clear the lot back to the workshop for more finishing.

The upshot of this is I have the greatest respect for you guys who do this every day. It was hot, grubby and bl00dy hard work, and I only do it for fun. It is very different on site when you need to touch up a chain, fill the tanks, and clean the filter of a saw, knee deep in dust and chippings and a long way from the workshop. Having to move the timber by hand granted, no mechanical help.

Saying that the little Chinese saw kept on going almost none stop for a good few hours, 5 liters of fuel through it and only got a rest when I needed a fag! Now sat in the office, with sore back, stiff knees and various bumps and bruises.

Again my hat off to you.

Similar job for me.

All day spent with the 660 and Rob's Chinese Mill (Cheers again Rob) on a 14' piece of Pop.

Lovely planks coming off but bloody hard dusty hot work (last Sunday)

Cheers to all for the motivation to get into my new favourite hobby.

Bob

Similar job for me.

All day spent with the 660 and Rob's Chinese Mill (Cheers again Rob) on a 14' piece of Pop.

Lovely planks coming off but bloody hard dusty hot work (last Sunday)

Cheers to all for the motivation to get into my new favourite hobby.

Bob

If you think it's bad during the hot weather wait until you're milling in high winds and horizontal rain, that's when you start to think there must be easier ways to earn a crust.

Then you see the beautiful grain of the planks you've cut and things start to feel it's all worth it.

That is until the back ache kicks in the next morning :-)

If you think it's bad during the hot weather wait until you're milling in high winds and horizontal rain, that's when you start to think there must be easier ways to earn a crust.

Then you see the beautiful grain of the planks you've cut and things start to feel it's all worth it.

Yes I can certainly agree with that sentiment - here's yesterday's milling efforts done in the rain only for the sun to come out when I finished!

I used my new 880 with a 56" bar which certainly tested the structure of the 48" chinese mill:

On inspection of the worst cut I had made on arguably the best wood I have (3rd picture), the nuts holding the depth gauges eased off and the the mill gradually increased the depth of the cut through the length of the board, from 2" thick to almost 3" at the end. The nuts were not finger loose but must have loosened enough to allow the mill to drift.

To make matters worse, one end of the mill moved more than the other creating a compound wedge board :( Needles to say when i tried re-milling the board I moved the problem elsewhere and its still wedge shaped! To add insult to injury the chinese mill cost about half what I could have sold this board for.

I've never had this problem on the 36" Granberg mill I have which uses more substantial brackets, rails, U-bolts and nuts.

Today I tightened my nuts until they squeaked and the slabs came out fine :)

Cheers

DSCF0162.JPG.6249fa4678f86b5d3c5d29282db3b896.JPG

DSCF0158.JPG.225731d704a171a3c694ad1412121c34.JPG

DSCF0160.JPG.7a41d5bc5885a9f23b033352b5184167.JPG