Chilling ( Chinese Milling )

Lazurus

8 hours ago, Lazurus said:

62cc if I recall

Hi Larurus, not quite sure what you mean by this unless it was meant for another thread?  Any words of wisdom before I go headlong into the world of chilling?  Oh and an update to the chainsaws - I have just bought a second hand 28" one.  Should be with me on Sat/Mon in a weeks time.  Just need to commit to buying a mill now - am looking at:  

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Chainsaw Mill Kit - With Rails for 24", 36" and 48" Bars. Bundle includes standard 24" mill set and extra 36" and 48" rails and push bars sets. This allows you to set the mill up for bars...

and 

Any comments welcome!

21 minutes ago, TuscanPhil said:

Hi Larurus, not quite sure what you mean by this unless it was meant for another thread?  Any words of wisdom before I go headlong into the world of chilling?  Oh and an update to the chainsaws - I have just bought a second hand 28" one.  Should be with me on Sat/Mon in a weeks time.  Just need to commit to buying a mill now - am looking at:  

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Chainsaw Mill Kit - With Rails for 24", 36" and 48" Bars. Bundle includes standard 24" mill set and extra 36" and 48" rails and push bars sets. This allows you to set the mill up for bars...

and 

Any comments welcome!

That mill will be fine but you will struggle using a normal chain and bar as its not designed for ripping.The ebay mill is fine.

Edited by topchippyles

Cheers ref the mill - any views on the edge mill?.  The saw I've bought has a 28" bar and chain and also an 18" bar and chain, so I can grind the 28" chain down to 10degrees (on my Lidl chain sharpener) which should help, or I'll buy a ripping chain (once I find out the spec) - no idea what bar is on it though - how does the bar make a difference?  just the stiffness?

Edited by TuscanPhil

9 minutes ago, TuscanPhil said:

Cheers ref the mill - any views on the edge mill?.  The saw I've bought has a 28" bar and chain and also an 18" bar and chain, so I can grind the 28" chain down to 10degrees (on my Lidl chain sharpener) which should help, or I'll buy a ripping chain (once I find out the spec) - no idea what bar is on it though - how does the bar make a difference?  just the stiffness?

The bar is designed for milling unlike the normal ones.This one fit your saw ?

28"(71cm)GB Chainsaw Bar Parker 62cc + x3 Ripping Chains 325 058 102 d/l

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

The bar is designed for milling unlike the normal ones.This one fit your saw ?

Thanks - haven't the foggiest (yet).  It's a Homelite 550 - quite old by all accounts but I'm told it runs and most spares seem to be available, so fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I used the standard bar (Oregon) and a milling chain from chainsawbars - both chinese saws going fine the 62cc Timberpro has paid for itself many times over and is still going strong. I couldnt justify a milling bar which costs more than the original saw. The mill is fine no issues at all. Have fun.

Edited by Lazurus

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I used the standard bar (Oregon) and a milling chain from chainsawbars - both chinese saws going fine the 62cc Timberpro has paid for itself many times over and is still going strong. I couldnt justify a milling bar which costs more than the original saw. The mill is fine no issues at all. Have fun.

Massive difference using a milling bar and this one below is from chainsaw bars with 3 milling chains for your saw

• Like 2

On 08/08/2020 at 15:03, TuscanPhil said:

Rob D and Lazarus - a bit of advice and guidance if you wouldn't mind!  I've posted on another thread about some wood I have lying around and as it seems the general consensus is it's only god for firewood, I quite fancy having a go at some Chilling.  Via a quick bit of searching, it seems I can get a 20" chainsaw and 24" mill for around £215 plus any import dues.  I can get a larger (up to 34") mill for another £20 or so, but as the 24" mill is larger than the 20" bar, is it worth it?  It seems that if I go any larger in chainsaw, the price jumps massively.  Even if I don't do very well with the milling, I have use for the chainsaw as my other one is only a small 15" Husky.

Mill:  

Chainsaw:  

WWW.SITEBOX.LTD.UK

P1PE P6220C 62cc / 20” Petrol Chainsaw c/w Easy Recoil Start + Carry Bag , The P6220C 62cc 2-stroke petrol chainsaw from P1PE (Position One Power Equipmen..

Or possibly this chainsaw which has a slightly longer bar:

WWW.MANOMANO.CO.UK

IN STOCK: best prices on PowerKing 22'' Petrol Chainsaw 58cc with Easy Start - choose between 42 Petrol chainsaw

Any other items to recommend?  Rob D, I did look for your kits on eBay but couldn't see them.  I know I'm not going to be able to plank up my Poplar or Spruce, but I can have a go on my oak and any cherry or other trees I drop.

Apologies late reply - ok so:

1) The 62cc saws the Parker 62cc seems good and it seems a great price for what you get. BUT these 62cc saws seem to be re badged and re marketed under all sorts of brands [NB we would do this ourselves but other companies seem to work on a more Amazon type basis - nowt wrong with that - we just don't work like that].

2) If you can ID the bar mount usually always K095 [Group3 Husky mount] hence easy to fit different bars and chains

3) All the knock of Alaskan mills are ok - but let's talk size - folks often ask what size should I go for and reply is 'what size do you need?' and these sort of replies are Zen type and annoying but it's true! If you are buying a larger saw later - get a larger mill. If you are sticking to this size - stick to this size mill. If unsure - then go for the larger mill!

4) Prices are so cheap here - don't quibble £20 - if in any doubt spend more to go longer.

5) Milling FAQs are boring - but why do what I did and spend hours upon hours the hard way when 30 minutes reading does it from the comfort of your armchair

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or require further information on any our products. Videos of all...

6) Only you know what you need - the trick is to educate yourself so that you can then tell who you are going to buy from I need x, y and z. I get so many people who call and ask 'I'd like your advice...' and then I give them my advice and they don't agree with it!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Apologies late reply - ok so:

1) The 62cc saws the Parker 62cc seems good and it seems a great price for what you get. BUT these 62cc saws seem to be re badged and re marketed under all sorts of brands [NB we would do this ourselves but other companies seem to work on a more Amazon type basis - nowt wrong with that - we just don't work like that].

2) If you can ID the bar mount usually always K095 [Group3 Husky mount] hence easy to fit different bars and chains

3) All the knock of Alaskan mills are ok - but let's talk size - folks often ask what size should I go for and reply is 'what size do you need?' and these sort of replies are Zen type and annoying but it's true! If you are buying a larger saw later - get a larger mill. If you are sticking to this size - stick to this size mill. If unsure - then go for the larger mill!

4) Prices are so cheap here - don't quibble £20 - if in any doubt spend more to go longer.

5) Milling FAQs are boring - but why do what I did and spend hours upon hours the hard way when 30 minutes reading does it from the comfort of your armchair

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or require further information on any our products. Videos of all...

6) Only you know what you need - the trick is to educate yourself so that you can then tell who you are going to buy from I need x, y and z. I get so many people who call and ask 'I'd like your advice...' and then I give them my advice and they don't agree with it!

I am on the money with your 3 ripping chains and GB bar though rob for these parker saws.You think ?? Price is superb and can comment on using them all 

Edited by topchippyles