Chilling ( Chinese Milling )

Lazurus

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2018 at 20:00, topchippyles said:

I used this sprocket below and milled out the centre to fit the timberpro saw and bought the bar and ripping chain from www.chainsawbars.co.uk

CLUTCH RIM SPROCKET DRUM 3/8 7T CHINESE CHAINSAW 4500 5200 5800 45CC 52CC 58CC T

Had a similar 'project' on my mind,  I had concluded the sprocket material was chuffing hard,  too hard to machine with HSS tooling. But you've shown there is a way,  so what machine tool material did you use ?

The sprocket I wanted to machine is one of them power metallurgy things, I think.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 03/04/2020 at 15:30, Lazurus said:

@Rob D did the kit for Timberpro ever materialise?

Yes we have got kits on ebay for these - but not sure for how long as thinking of reducing our ebay presence - makes stocking very hard and pricing harder! The kits on ebay are pretty much what you already have.. it's a great way to start milling to be fair but it's still piggy backing a market built by others. I'm sure plenty people call us for advice before buying their mill off ebay - not sure we can do much about that... but we don't have to be happy about it ;)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Rob D and Lazarus - a bit of advice and guidance if you wouldn't mind!  I've posted on another thread about some wood I have lying around and as it seems the general consensus is it's only god for firewood, I quite fancy having a go at some Chilling.  Via a quick bit of searching, it seems I can get a 20" chainsaw and 24" mill for around £215 plus any import dues.  I can get a larger (up to 34") mill for another £20 or so, but as the 24" mill is larger than the 20" bar, is it worth it?  It seems that if I go any larger in chainsaw, the price jumps massively.  Even if I don't do very well with the milling, I have use for the chainsaw as my other one is only a small 15" Husky.

Mill:  

Chainsaw:  

WWW.SITEBOX.LTD.UK

P1PE P6220C 62cc / 20” Petrol Chainsaw c/w Easy Recoil Start + Carry Bag , The P6220C 62cc 2-stroke petrol chainsaw from P1PE (Position One Power Equipmen..

Or possibly this chainsaw which has a slightly longer bar:

WWW.MANOMANO.CO.UK

IN STOCK: best prices on PowerKing 22'' Petrol Chainsaw 58cc with Easy Start - choose between 42 Petrol chainsaw

Any other items to recommend?  Rob D, I did look for your kits on eBay but couldn't see them.  I know I'm not going to be able to plank up my Poplar or Spruce, but I can have a go on my oak and any cherry or other trees I drop.

Edited by TuscanPhil
added another chainsaw

Also look at the vertical mill @Rob D does, they will allow you to make use of trees bigger than your mill. 

5 hours ago, TuscanPhil said:

Rob D and Lazarus - a bit of advice and guidance if you wouldn't mind!  I've posted on another thread about some wood I have lying around and as it seems the general consensus is it's only god for firewood, I quite fancy having a go at some Chilling.  Via a quick bit of searching, it seems I can get a 20" chainsaw and 24" mill for around £215 plus any import dues.  I can get a larger (up to 34") mill for another £20 or so, but as the 24" mill is larger than the 20" bar, is it worth it?  It seems that if I go any larger in chainsaw, the price jumps massively.  Even if I don't do very well with the milling, I have use for the chainsaw as my other one is only a small 15" Husky.

Mill:  

Chainsaw:  

WWW.SITEBOX.LTD.UK

P1PE P6220C 62cc / 20” Petrol Chainsaw c/w Easy Recoil Start + Carry Bag , The P6220C 62cc 2-stroke petrol chainsaw from P1PE (Position One Power Equipmen..

WWW.MANOMANO.CO.UK

IN STOCK: best prices on PowerKing 22'' Petrol Chainsaw 58cc with Easy Start - choose between 42 Petrol chainsaw

Any other items to recommend?  Rob D, I did look for your kits on eBay but couldn't see them.  I know I'm not going to be able to plank up my Poplar or Spruce, but I can have a go on my oak and any cherry or other trees I drop.

6 hours ago, TuscanPhil said:

Mill:  

Chainsaw:  

WWW.SITEBOX.LTD.UK

WWW.MANOMANO.CO.UK

Rob has reduced his E-bay presence recently, due to numbnut customers and E-bay finding with the thick buyers.