Chilling ( Chinese Milling )

Lazurus

Well another 5 tanks through the Chinese mill today, this time fitted with the Granberg milling chain, must admit no noticeable difference between the Granberg and the stock Oregon chain, maybe a tad quicker, but it did cost half the price of the saw itself so better get some use out of it. Lol.

I keep waiting for problems either with the Timberpro saw or the Chinese mill but as yet they haven't missed a beat, sure the saw is a bit thirsty, yes the mill is not made of the Alaskan quality materials but it does what it says on the box and all for under £150. As I said on my previous thread it has paid for itself on the fist outing and now it's all a bonus.:thumbup::thumbup:

image.jpg.382df08474477992e640633396f1101e.jpg

Currently doing it for my own use mainly to prepare turning blanks....... However, it is addictive, so now getting a few planks into my store to dry, not the best time of year to do it due to the summer heat, so I will see how the drying goes. The blanks I produced from my last session are coming along, and at sawmill prices that first day paid for the whole set up.

image.jpg.0b240d1986fb38c350c6bc1635f33784.jpg

Currently doing it for my own use mainly to prepare turning blanks....... However, it is addictive, so now getting a few planks into my store to dry, not the best time of year to do it due to the summer heat, so I will see how the drying goes. The blanks I produced from my last session are coming along, and at sawmill prices that first day paid for the whole set up.

Are you using the Chinese mill (Alaskan) for making those blanks? I'm going to be cutting a load of those for making end grain flooring blocks.... dya have any top tips for cutting them as accurately as possible?

cheers, steve

I think it is great that you can turn raw native material into finished stock. The first time I actually witnessed this type of manufacturing was with Rob at a arborist show a few years back. Very interesting and noisy, head phones were really helpful. I suppose the biggest problem is dealing with foreign objects in the raw stock, however metal detectors seem to lessen the chance of damage or injury. I look forward to more finished items in the future

easy-lift guy

Are you using the Chinese mill (Alaskan) for making those blanks? I'm going to be cutting a load of those for making end grain flooring blocks.... dya have any top tips for cutting them as accurately as possible?

cheers, steve

I cut the boards to the thickness required, usually about 3" for turning blanks then cut into rounds on the band saw, seal with wax and leave to cook........ I cannot see why a similar approach would not work for flooring blocks.

S.