Is there a lack of groundman?

swinny

I contract climb & groundie - all at the same rate & I don't see why I should not. I bring my skills & equipment to both & it is down to the employer to utilise me to his best advantage. Putting on a harness is not the be all & end all in this industry

No it is not.

Its all about working attitude and being a team

Member.

My climbing rate is 150.00 a day but on some easy jobs folk dont get me in and i dont blame them. They get a 120.00 a day climber and save 30.00 a day which is 150 a week

Labour is one of the most expensive parts of the industry.

I dont sub very often anymore as i'm to busy doing my own stuff

If i was to say 150 a day grounding you'd be laughed off the face of the planet

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you are saying but there's no chance it would work with 90% of the companies up here

Thank feck for that swinny. My day rate is £xxx based on 'I'll be down the hole all day', when I get a day out driving around the countryside doing some servicing work I class it as a bonus.

Why?, it's a days work (let's not forget that we are Tradesmen). That day will cost you £xxx. Why would it matter what you are doing?

It's different if I'm using my own gear that gets charged on top, but labour only is the same rate whatever I'm doing.

It's not a race to the bottom.

The way i look at it is climbing is more dangerous and skilled than grounding,therefor i drop my hourly rate for groundie work.

If im climbing and help the ground lads out once im down then my climbing rate still applies.Most climbs are agreed by the job rather than hourly rate though

Having anyone agree with anything on this site is like herding cats. However here I go.. I'm a well experienved sawman, ex climber, who works commercial side prodominatley, with a reasonable day rate that reflects my level of competence, skill set and ethic. I work mainly on long term projects (new motorways, bridges, civil clearances. Doing this leads to the inevitable gaps between one project ending and another begining. During which time do I sit on the couch or see what works out there. Swinny wanted a groundie, I wanted a days work, rate is the rate. Simples. I have worked with him a few times now, and have no problem with the rate for a number of reasons. 1, the domestic side pays less than commercial. 2, i dont use my saws, fuel, lines. 3, its bot as taxing mentally as my work usually is mentally, somebody else's pressure, he's messed up time, his problem. Simply put no pressure other than to see what needs done and do it. If I was an 18 year old I would of jumped at the regular work Swinny has available.

P.s no I'm not his lover.

P.p.s let the abuse flow..

They really earn it Mick, I expect production & targets to be met. This industry has become too reliant on the "climber", It is a team that works best in my opinion.

I do not place a higher value on anyone on the site. A good groundie will have a different skill set to a climber & it is with shared hard work & the combination of both that jobs get done quickly, efficiently & without unnecessary stress.

Obviously a good man to work for :thumbup1:

Having anyone agree with anything on this site is like herding cats. However here I go.. I'm a well experienved sawman, ex climber, who works commercial side prodominatley, with a reasonable day rate that reflects my level of competence, skill set and ethic. I work mainly on long term projects (new motorways, bridges, civil clearances. Doing this leads to the inevitable gaps between one project ending and another begining. During which time do I sit on the couch or see what works out there. Swinny wanted a groundie, I wanted a days work, rate is the rate. Simples. I have worked with him a few times now, and have no problem with the rate for a number of reasons. 1, the domestic side pays less than commercial. 2, i dont use my saws, fuel, lines. 3, its bot as taxing mentally as my work usually is mentally, somebody else's pressure, he's messed up time, his problem. Simply put no pressure other than to see what needs done and do it. If I was an 18 year old I would of jumped at the regular work Swinny has available.

P.s no I'm not his lover.

P.p.s let the abuse flow..

fair comment GeordieBore:thumbup1: I get where your coming from. Some great opinions/posts on this thread.

Is their a lack of groundsmen. Id say people get in this industry to be the climber so they aim to be a climber.

The crooks of the matter i always witness is climbers really for the most dislike dragging brash. Don't get me wrong some do but a do see a lot of faffing to ensure there's the minimal amount about when they come down.

If you have the work employe someone full time. I still do a fair whack of the climbing but also do the dragging. In a couple of years I think I'll be permanently on the ground.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be the climber. I just think few have aspirations to be a groundsman forever.