Echo cs501sx.......what a little cracker

IVECOKID

On a better note from my dead 880 I purchased The above the day before and I am well impressed after running 4 tanks of fuel through it today , much lighter than me old 260 and revs well , 16" Shiny Bar and no bogging down . Only bug bear is the heat from the muffler can make it uncomfortable on the hand sometimes when cutting close up others very Capable saw !

Big Thanks to the lads at Skyland too.

Ste

I have an Echo CS360TES top handle and also an Echo HC-341ES 40" Hedge Cutter.

Havent touched my Husky saw or trimmer's since ive had them.. they are that good, Might have to invest in a BIG Echo saw soon.. and maybe their Kombi system

Yep good saw I bought my 501 at the arb show. Used it quite a bit over the last few weeks. I'm running the 18 inch bar it came with, great for chogging down medium size stems. Great power for the weight, not quite as nippy as the husky 550 but a lot better in bigger wood. 2 slight bad points, the air filter lets fine dust into it, can't see any holes and it doesn't fit poorly. And the rear handle seems a bit weak, it came apart slightly when I had it on a strop when climbing. I've now wrapped a load of insulating tape around the handle to keep it together.

And yes, the exhaust does get pretty hot, have you taken the spark arrestor out? Does it have a cat? If so it'll be coming out in the future

Only bug bear is the heat from the muffler can make it uncomfortable on the hand sometimes when cutting close up others very Capable saw !

Big Thanks to the lads at Skyland too.

Ste

I noticed that on mine, especially my thumb where it's wrapped around the handle and touching the top cover (big hands) more noticeable with wet gloves, I ended up holding the handle a bit more to the side. Apart from that it's cutting nicely on 18".

• 2 weeks later...

Went into the local saw shop for a bit of a drool today :blushing: and was comparing the 501sx and the 550xp. Both feel nice and light and fast handling the 550xp had a 15", the 501 a 18" which I felt was a bit long and slightly spoiled the balance.

Having no experience of either of these saws running, maybe for those that have is the 501 that far behind the 550?

Given the 550 history is it even worth considering?

I Finally got my Jonsered CS2172 last week with a 20" - very happy it's a beast .:thumbup:

So now time to start saving for a nice 50cc.

Edited by stihl fan

• 4 weeks later...
Went into the local saw shop for a bit of a drool today :blushing: and was comparing the 501sx and the 550xp. Both feel nice and light and fast handling the 550xp had a 15", the 501 a 18" which I felt was a bit long and slightly spoiled the balance.

Having no experience of either of these saws running, maybe for those that have is the 501 that far behind the 550?

Given the 550 history is it even worth considering?

I Finally got my Jonsered CS2172 last week with a 20" - very happy it's a beast .:thumbup:

So now time to start saving for a nice 50cc.

According to the only somewhat serious test I have seen of the 501SX, it isn't anywhere close to the 550xp in performance, and it was firmly placed in the "semi-pro" category = more comparable to a 353 or 545.

Then there is the cheap and brittle feeling Echo plastic with sharp corners in the wrong places etc.