Advice on Euro road trip

Steve Bullman

Here you go Steve...

https://www.hochschwarzwald.de/Card

It looks like the card is "free" although I suspect you would have to pay the tourist tax! The list of attractions might have change but if it's anything like it was three years ago, it still made for a good holiday. Plus which, a case of 20 x 500ml bottles of pils supermarket can be had for about six quid, if you are happy to drink non-mainstream brands (which was what my German colleague recommended).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take the extra time to do the ferry rather than the chunnel if you decide on that route. The longer break from driving, and the experience of the sea crossing for the youngsters is well worth the extra hour or so.

Make sure you go through the Alps, as they are stunning at that time of year. And plan on shorter trips every other day or so. Enjoy :)

Have been looking at the same thing over the last couple of weeks. I notice no one has mentioned the west coast of France . We like beaches and mountain bikes would this area be suitable ?

Possibly taking a new sprinter tl9 minibus could be expensive on the ferry but advantages are full aircon , high driving position and bikes and kit inside.

Lots of really useful info on here with places I never heard of and would never think to visit reading with interest .

Eventually I might drive to Crete to visit my father but much to see closer to home first.

Went to Monaco with a mate a few years aga on motorbikes, tried to plan the trip in detail, but ended up no plans at all, took the ferry, over to the alps, and down. Beautiful scenery. Never had any problem finding hotels to stay at. The way back, we took the Autoroutes up the middle, that was pretty boring tbh!

Hi Steve

What about a trip to part of Spain that's off the tourist route.

Cheap flights to Alicante then hire a car using one of the local firms or the web site( doyouspain.com) then head south, taking in Los alcazares, Mar Menor, Cartagena and Mojacar and keep going as far as Almeria. You can the head into the Mountains to Granada, possibly heading back via Sierra Nevada, Tabernas where they made the Spaghetti westerns, and Murcia.

A great part of Spain and a lot more reasonable than the more famous Costa's. Only €2-3 a 'pinta' and food is very cheap also. Temperatures are in the mid twenties at the moment.

Martyn

Hi Steve

What about a trip to part of Spain that's off the tourist route.

Cheap flights to Alicante then hire a car using one of the local firms or the web site( doyouspain.com) then head south, taking in Los alcazares, Mar Menor, Cartagena and Mojacar and keep going as far as Almeria. You can the head into the Mountains to Granada, possibly heading back via Sierra Nevada, Tabernas where they made the Spaghetti westerns, and Murcia.

A great part of Spain and a lot more reasonable than the more famous Costa's. Only €2-3 a 'pinta' and food is very cheap also. Temperatures are in the mid twenties at the moment.

Martyn

Sounds a nice option, but I need to take my

Truck as have some stuff to collect half way round my route

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk