Advice on Euro road trip

Steve Bullman

Used to do it regularly. I'd go for Northern Spain and drive down into central Spain and across to the Pyrenees. Stunning country away from the tourists.

I loved my time there and miss it.

Work your way back up through France for the ferry home.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get as far as Croatia don't bother with the far south (Dubrovnik); it's not worth the journey for a Roman City 3 times the size of a football pitch!

But do some of the Dalmatian Coast then turn inland while still in the North and see the lakes at Plitvice. Surreal; they were the inspiration for the waterfall/lake scenery in Avatar. But get there early (8am opening) to avoid the coachloads (many).

After that Zagreb is 3 hours drive north east and the old city there is glorious.

Then home via Ljubljana!

Thinking about taking a road trip me and the kids, looking for tips from people who have done similar.......What places are good to see?.......

Really depends on the age of the kids.Travelling to the south of France would presumably take you past Paris.Would they let you go by Disneyland without stopping?

Is it best to take the ferry or chunnel? Im guessing the ferry at the moment with the immigrant camps etc?

The chunnel hadn't been built the last time I went but I'd plump for the ferry every time anyway.

Don't forget to pack your breathalyser for France.

Really depends on the age of the kids.Travelling to the south of France would presumably take you past Paris.Would they let you go by Disneyland without stopping?

The chunnel hadn't been built the last time I went but I'd plump for the ferry every time anyway.

Don't forget to pack your breathalyser for France.

Been to disneyland a heap of times, that should't be an issue

Keep an eye out for the motorway tolls, they add up very quickly. If not in a rush set the sat nav to avoid motorways. Crossed France last year from Roscoff into Southern Germany and think it totalled €98 each way approx.

Tunnel is quick but very industrial. The ferry feels like part of the holiday. I prefer to sail at sunset and then drive to somewhere close like Lille for first night stay. By the time the cliffs of Dover disappear from view you can walk to the other end of the ship and see France. I did the tunnel at xmas and didn't see any camps.

South of France is cool if you like old Roman cities but its hot so air con is a must. I've never found the traffic to be too bad in Aug with the exception of Monaco. There are better places to visit also in the south, Carcasonne, Nimes, Pont du Gard for example. Canoeing at Pont du Gard is a must. Annecy is good also, you can hire a small boat and bum around the lake for a few hours. It blows Windermere out of the water.

Toll roads are great but as the other post said they can cost. I always use them though as it takes forever to get anywhere otherwise. The none toll roads tend to be like country lanes much of the time.

:thumbup:

I'd go Portsmouth too Le Havre get yourself a commodore suite head on down through France heading towards Dijon , Lyon chamberry aix-le-Bains and through the Frejus tunnel and down through Italy Turin Milano Verona beautiful drive through the Alps

Or go onto Marseilles , nice , mimes , Monaco menton then Italy via San Remo done these routes several times with hgv