Ganoderma on copper beech!

Capstankid!

My impression from the abstract there is that it can limit the rate of spores germinating - it basically makes sporophores produce fewer 'fertile' spores. This would thus have little to no impact upon the host tree, which internally would harbour swathes of mycelium, unimpacted by the treatment.

Why would limiting spore viability be considered a bad thing?

How do we know that exposing fruiting bodies to lethal levels of UV light has no detrimental affects on the mycelium attached to it beneath the bark?

Jomoco

It's not a bad thing. However, it won't have an impact upon the host tree, which is likely harbouring mycelium in increasing abundance over time. Ganoderma association on mature beech is also profusely common in the UK and usually ends in rather glorious failure at some point down the line, and the number of Ganoderma sporophores on the whole means treating one bracket is unlikely to even reduce the risk of infection to other trees, let alone the host tree. It appears an exercise in futility, therefore.

when people stem inject glyphosate to kill off all or part of a tree, they must have tried similar application methods to get potent fungicides circulating through the trees sapwood.

If it was that easy all the big arboretums and parks would be injecting everything in sight.

The mycelium is presumably killable by man made chemicals though

If it were my tree?

I'd fight for it's life tooth n wallet!

Phytopthora ramorum's on a killing rampage here in CA, and it too is a mutated fungus that's been declared a death sentence for 3-4 species of oak.

However I've had pretty dang good results keeping it at bay for three separate clients with moderately infected coastal live oaks, using a fungicide called Agri-Fos, as a systemic trunk drench, mixed at a one to one ratio with water, with an added 7 ounces of PentraBark surfactant to every two gallons of mix. Once in the spring, and once in the fall.

All three clients' trees are still alive and putting on new growth in their canopies to date, one of them in the second year of treatment.

I hate the way SOD likes to pick on the oldest trees!

Jomoco

If it were my tree?

using a fungicide called Agri-Fos, as a systemic trunk drench, mixed at a one to one ratio with water, with an added 7 ounces of PentraBark surfactant to every two gallons of mix. Once in the spring, and once in the fall.

All three clients' trees are still alive and putting on new growth in their canopies to date, one of them in the second year of treatment.

Jomoco

that's a great effort - the big pharmaceutical companies have to spend billions on clinical trials, but your lucky, your patients dont need to consent and they can't do a runner