Hi all,

I have been looking into the growing number of women working in Arboristry. The challenges they face and how we at Northern Arb can help. The biggest problem is being able to source the right equipment. We have a lot of experience and have therefore put together a list of items women seem to prefer.

The Glass Canopy & The Growing Number Of Women In Arboristry

Do you agree with our suggestions? Can you do better?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My good lady climbs in a Buckingham ergovation light - the non light isn't available with a ce mark (I will prob be corrected but we couldn't find one). The tree motion harness doesn't work for her at all, it hurts her hips big style, Sam says it doesn't fit ladies with a shape

Breath flex trousers are the best sam has found but she says a higher cut waist would be nice

Another challenge is the chest harness for srt doesn't fit over her ample pair :laugh1: the lanyard over shoulder trick works for assent but not for working on srt.

Hope that helps you. It's good people are starting to take notice of the girls in our industry, :thumbup:

I had quite a bit of trouble getting some boots for a girl who was a size 4.

Personally I don't think equipment is the issue. I imagine most people seem it as 'a man's job' and that there are far fewer genuine opportunities for women in arb. Many industries will be the same - have you ever seen a woman working on a highways team? Woman are perfectly able to work in arb and forestry but it will be male dominated for a long time yet.

Glad to see this post is open again! :thumbup:

I've only worked with two women (lots of big little girls though!) who worked better than some blokes I know! + one trainer who climbed like a squirrel.

It'd be great to see more coming into the trade... For many reasons :D

Following this post with interest as have got my Mrs in on a couple of jobs now & she wants to learn so knowing suitable ppe choices would be great :thumbup:

I had quite a bit of trouble getting some boots for a girl who was a size 4.

Personally I don't think equipment is the issue. I imagine most people seem it as 'a man's job' and that there are far fewer genuine opportunities for women in arb. Many industries will be the same - have you ever seen a woman working on a highways team? Woman are perfectly able to work in arb and forestry but it will be male dominated for a long time yet.

I think your right, every one is a different shape, one of our subies hates the tree motion but I find it bang on, its all about finding the right kit to suit your size/shape/climbing style

There are some bloody good females out there doin the job as good as any man could,there should be equipment/ppe to satify there needs.

With a lot of young women coming into the industry i think it would be an investment in the future generation of arboriculture workers too start making products to suit females.

My good lady climbs in a Buckingham ergovation light - the non light isn't available with a ce mark (I will prob be corrected but we couldn't find one). The tree motion harness doesn't work for her at all, it hurts her hips big style, Sam says it doesn't fit ladies with a shape

Breath flex trousers are the best sam has found but she says a higher cut waist would be nice

Another challenge is the chest harness for srt doesn't fit over her ample pair :laugh1: the lanyard over shoulder trick works for assent but not for working on srt.

Hope that helps you. It's good people are starting to take notice of the girls in our industry, :thumbup:

ok ok ok we don't believe you so a pic of the aforementioned Lady is in order, just to clear tings up loike.