Faded climbing helmet?

karl1991

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I appreciate that but as part of inspection of climbing kits I am often asked to inspect climbing helmets and spurs. I would certainly think twice before signing such a helmet off as safe to use.

IMO stick with what you know.

If your qualification and insurance covers inspections beyond the scope of LOLER that's fine but to achieve the LOLER inspector merit badge you had to demonstrate a level of competence.

When all is said and done, its not about what you don't sign off on, its what you do sign off on that you can and may be expected to justify.

Thank you for your great insight. I bow to your superior knowledge. I am truly not worthy of inspecting such things that are clearly beyond my knowledge I shall cease and desist immediately now that you have put me in my place.

Wish I was treequip right now 'cos I'd soooooo like to accept your apology right now :D

... So does anybody else get their lids LOLERed :banghead:

Karl - that's not good in that space of time (was it in the shop window?!?) definitely take it back but upgrade to a petzl vertex, very comfortable & once you adjust it, it won't budge all day.

Arctostaphylos - just out of interest, how much to loler a mewp?

Thank you for your great insight. I bow to your superior knowledge. I am truly not worthy of inspecting such things that are clearly beyond my knowledge I shall cease and desist immediately now that you have put me in my place.

inthewoods

What is a MEWP? Please don't ask me about things I do not understand.

Oh, and by the way, no apology was made or intended!

Well that touched a nerve it wasn't intended to but unlike you I will apologise.

My comment was intended to be a caveat and I am sorry that didn't come across to you but the point stands.

Well that touched a nerve it wasn't intended to but unlike you I will apologise.

My comment was intended to be a caveat and I am sorry that didn't come across to you but the point stands.

No apology necessary. No nerve touched. My comments were made with tongue in cheek but perhaps that did not come across too clearly. Maybe I should have used some emoticons (but I just don't like them).

Anyway I do get asked to check climbing helmets and have done the necessary training. It was mainly rope access climbers that required it but I now also offer it to tree surgeons. I usually carry out the climbing helmet checks at the same time as the loler PPE checks. My point is though that I would not be happy signing off on a climbing helmet that had faded that badly and would recommend that the owner change it. I did not particularly want to get into a lengthy debate over whether such checks are part of loler or not so that was my own fault for mentioning it. I would recommend that climbers carry out inspection of ALL PPE prior to each use.