Contractor Processor?

mikeyne

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jess thinking sounds too cheap but thinkin about it I charge £250 for me n old palax combi, so £75 each for a couple of stackers not too far out, but would charge more for people wi cs tickets

I agree. How much more does it cost to pay holiday pay, PPE, and the like on top of that £75/day?

Sounds like the OP need to get someone with a Farmi WP 36. It does not have biggest cut but the splitter can be used as a stand alone machine so easily. Just ring up the oversize lengths and split away. Just make sure the contractor you get in has got attachments/adaption to do this. How much can be done in a day varies but just done two typical jobs this week.

1. 18 tonne lorry load of cord with a fair amount of oversize in it. Cleared 3/4 of it with intermittent help and no machinery other than a trailer to take the logs away. That was working til 18.00

2. Greeted with a horrible pile of arbwaste with small bits oversized rings and plenty of hellish hard eucalyptus. All badly snedded off (it don't get worse than this) and still filled 20 m3 bags with 9" logs with one full time helper and an occasional helper moving the bags. 0830-1730

Neither job were they overly fussy about how small the logs were split and this does speed things along.

This year is proving tough to find the time to work on our wood supply and I was wondering if such a thing as a mobile processor and crew existed for hire in the North East for a one off job?

We've got about 20 odd tonnes of semi-seasoned mixed hardwood (a lot of beech in it, some sycamore, some birch) to ideally get cut and split up this year. It's in 3m lengths, pretty straight but a mix of diameters from 6 inches to 18 inches. We also need it cut to 60cm lengths (so not the usual) and then stacking tightly in a Poly Tunnel by hand.

Ideally, I'd like to hire a crew and a processor for a couple of days work and wondered if this sort of thing exists and any idea on what the going daily rate is?

Cheers,

Mike

We're just near Stockton, and we have a Tajfun 400 that would handle everything up to 16" but will only do up to 50cm split lengths. With one other helping to keep me loaded I could get through that 20t in the day easy. Probably less, if there's nothing below 6 inches.

Could potentially also bring our 1m horizontal splitter for the bigger stuff to get it all done. You don't want to be lifting 50cm 18" logs into the processor splitting chamber!!

Probably looking at £45 per hour 2 men + tractor and processor, we'd just work til it was done.

If it absolutely has to be 60cm billets then we could do the lot with the horizontal splitter for maybe £35 per hour (less if you could supply a small tractor to run the PTO) would undoubtedly take longer unless youd got it mostly cut to length in advance. PM if you want to discuss any further detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP asked for going rates for what he was wanting. I gave mine.

If the firewood thing was the only iron in my fire I'd be charging a lot more, but as one of many branches of income it does fine at the rates I put it out at.It's certainly not a loss leader, but it's not something I'm involved in to make a fortune with......many easier ways to make that elsewhere.