Cost to durability ratio: How to choose the correct boot

HAIX Footwear UK

Footwear is an essential piece of equipment in any active job, from tree surgeons to firefighters and the emergency services. Not only does it have to protect, it also needs to be comfortable to ensure that wearers are not distracted by niggling pain in their feet. But when money is tight, the boots get tighter and with the post-Brexit uncertainty looming overhead, it’s nice to know you have a sturdy boot you can rely on.

When choosing new boots, whether you’re a company manager making a decision on footwear for your employees, or an independent forester or arborist, the choice usually comes down to a balancing act between price and quality. Cut your costs too far and you’ll be investing in a very short term solution that may not make it through the British summer time. On the other hand, choosing a high cost boot is a commitment that needs to pay off in the long term.

In an eight point plan based on recommendations from the Trade Union Congress, a safe and comfortable boot’s features should include being breathable, both in the upper and lining, it should have padded toe caps that are fitted properly to avoid rubbing, and a strong, flexible sole that offers shock absorption. This is in addition to a stabilising heel fit, removable insoles and fastenings or laces that secure the boot in place.

However, many products claiming to meet European standards do not, so it is important when choosing or purchasing footwear that you request test data from the supplier. Further advice on this is available on the HSE website (role of manufacturers and suppliers of footwear).

By ensuring that the boot you are choosing complies with each of these guide points, you can feel more assured that you are purchasing the correct boot for your needs and your budget.

To find out more, visit https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/footwear.pdf or share your boot choosing tips below.

To find out more about the HAIX range of boots, visit our website at http://www.haix.co.uk or you can find us on Facebook and Twitter @HaixGlobal.

I've got to say my haix saw boots were the most comfortable I've had however the soles fell off before they were a year old.

I agree on both counts. Every pair of Haix that I have bought over the past 8 years has done the same (for myself and employees). Very comfortable, but a flawed design unfortunately. We haven't had any similar problems with Arbortek or Meindle (both probably spelt wrong!)

Haix were the first dedicated Chainsaw protective Boot I bought,back in 2000,they did me very well..When I returned to Europe in 2007 I bought another pair,sadly they lasted about 10 months before the sole fell off.

My Meindl's have lasted me 2 years,exceptional service given the price.

Are soles that are stitched on any better?

I have a cheap pair of Oregon boots; I have them 3 years now, but I only use them 2 days per week. I notice climbing is the hardest thing on them, it's like a days climbing takes more of a toll than a few months on the ground?