Post and rail fencing

Will Heal

I have been asked to take down and re erect a post and rail fence. I looked at it a couple of weeks ago after the customer wasn't happy with fence that the previous contractor had put up.

It was very poorly constructed. The posts were not in line, the half round posts had twisted as they had driven them in so that the flat side was not flush with the rail, rails not equal distance apart and rail ends not meeting in the middle of the post or even 3/4 the way across. Long story short it was crap. First contractor did a runner after he was confronted by the customer the next morning. Then sent an email to the customer trying to make excuses for the poor workmanship. The customer asked my opinion and I told her I wouldn't pay for it as it is and unless it was pulled up and rebuilt then no amount of trying to rectifying would make it right. The customer bought enough posts and rails for the whole job and the contractor just quoted her a price for labour and digger hire. But he bought and used different post and rails.

She has asked me to pull it all up, put in two field gates, and re erect it.

We are going to put all of the other contractors posts and rails to one side and use the timber that she bought.

This evening she sent my partner (who is a friend) a copy of the invoice that he has sent. He wanted £960 for the hire of a mini digger and two man days labour.

My question is are would photos and my email to her stating what is wrong, enough evidence to take to court if it does get that far.

Many thanks Will

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I would ask, do you have any accreditation in fencing? The answer is no, no one has there is none, two people may vary widely on their idea of good work,

Now I'm not doubting that the work done originally was poor, or that your work will be to a satisfactory or high standard,

But I've a real bee in my bonnet about this, absolutely anyone can call themselves a fencer, with no accreditation, no qualification, no experience, the only pre requisite is to own or have access to wire stretchers, have a maul hammer, and a bucket of staples to use up,

I know fencers who do things differently to me, now some of them I class as poor work some good, some excellent, but not one has any kind of accreditation.

I think it's all about opinion I'm afraid.

I mean I'm a fencer, and own a chainsaw, could I call myself a chainsaw operator

I would ask, do you have any accreditation in fencing? The answer is no, no one has there is none, two people may vary widely on their idea of good work,

Now I'm not doubting that the work done originally was poor, or that your work will be to a satisfactory or high standard,

But I've a real bee in my bonnet about this, absolutely anyone can call themselves a fencer, with no accreditation, no qualification, no experience, the only pre requisite is to own or have access to wire stretchers, have a maul hammer, and a bucket of staples to use up,

I know fencers who do things differently to me, now some of them I class as poor work some good, some excellent, but not one has any kind of accreditation.

I think it's all about opinion I'm afraid.

I mean I'm a fencer, and own a chainsaw, could I call myself a chainsaw operator

So, someone is able to do a crap job and still get paid just because they did something?

Painter and decorator? Grass cutter? Handyman? It's not really about whether you have a ticket to say you can do it is it? A bad job is a bad job. This isn't just a little bit rough, it needs doing again. Why should the customer pay twice. And I'm all for letting the original contractor have a chance to put it right but the customer isn't.

Isn't there some sort of scheme landscapers or fencing contractors can join BALI? Surely with this they have to meet some sort of standard?

Thanks Will

small claims is easy really.

Should the chancer be stupid enough to do this, the client can show the recorder (they don't have judges usually) the evidence of why the job was crap. The chancer then puts his side. Judge decides.

Before and after photo's useful.

Was there a written contract with the chancer ? doesn't really matter but helps.

Could always sue the chancer for costs of fixing that should shut him up. Easily done online.

I think legally she has to give the other guy the opportunity to put it right (same as if you buy a new saw etc: dealer can fix it not replace it).

If he did a shite job and is refusing to come back and put it right/ finish it then photographic evidence and maybe an independent opinion (not you as competing contractor) and then you crack on.

Id say collate the photos and what you identified as wrong with the fence. Then do what timbernut said, the customer has a requirement to ask the first contractor to cone back and do the job. If he refuses go through small claims to get the money spebt on you puttibg it right. If first contractor agrees but customer doesnt want them to the customer in theory should pay for the outlay above labour from the first contractor.

In terms of accreditations for fencing no there isnt a accreditation as such fiss cards equivalant to cscs cards but for fence show that a fence has achieved a certain quality of fencing as assessed by someone deemed to be of a standard to asses anothers working quality.