Proper old school tools

Stoatally

I've taken pictures of what is available. Some of it appears to need a bit of a clean up and there's a couple of bits that I've decided to keep for now.

A couple of people have PM'd me asking for a couple of bits so I can't let one person have it all.

Photobucket album should be here Woodworking by Stotally | Photobucket Be patient whilst its still uploading.

Charitable donations to Steve's raffle fund would be cool :-)

I run a community interest company Forest School- check us out

http://Www.outofourtree.org

We use hand tools with children every session, and would be able to use all of these tools. The gouges are great for bowl making, small screwdrivers can be used for basket making and willow weaving- hand drills and brace n bit are our bread and butter tools. I can collect, but I'm in Ashford Kent- but coming to Treefest at Westonbirt on the B/H weekend. Happy to come to bristol snd collect then, or offer to buy tickets for your family to come to treefest and collect them from you in person then.

My grandad was a joiner for most of his life.

After he died I got two chests of his tools, some of it we used to use together when I was little.

I'm not a woodworker really so all the stuff he left me is gathering dust and becoming less and less viable every day. I want to keep the chest, which I'll use as a coffee table to remind me of him. Family members will get one small something too.

What I want to know is if any of you woodworkers out there could make use of the stuff, keep it doing what it should be doing.

If it doesn't all get taken then I'll get in touch with the Black Country museum as that's where he lived for most of his life, the rest will possibly go to a charity sending tools to countries that need them.

Please bear in mind I don't know all the names or what everything does but here's a rough idea.

There are lots of planes of all sizes and shapes, block planes, snub planes, hags tooth? rabbet, bullnose, stanley 50, a plane for making skirting board type stuff, adjustable curve plane etc

Chisels - loads of these mostly proper wood chisels, some that look like gouges or turning tools

Brace and bits

whet stones

measures / squares etc

I don't want anything for them, just to see them get used.

If necessary I can get some pictures of bits, or come round and have a look. If you know of anyone interested then let them know too.

Good on you

One of my uncles died some years ago , and he too was a joiner / pattern maker all his life ,and my Aunt was telling me how he used to save up for the best tools available at the time ..... however compared to the best modern stuff it is pretty poor to be honest !!! There is plenty of cheap rubbish around nowadays but the best quality stuff is better than anything available before , also the choice , availability and comparable costs are just brilliant ....... just think about tools in any other trade !!! old chainsaws ? chippers? etc or any other gear, even vehicle you can think of is better today than ever before .