New London Airport

Billhook

I favour Boris's Thames estuary island airport at least the money spent thereon would not be entirely wasted.

RE the future of air travel, I despair at the heaving masses jetting off cattle-class, to bespoil ever more newly discovered/developed, previously unspoilt areas.

Leaving a trail of litter in their wake.

Jet fuel should attract the same punitive taxation as road going fuel.

Simples!

I gather from a friend in the trade that there is a sunk wartime boat with a rather large payload of ordnance on it and there is no way that they can safely build the runway in the Thames estuary. Not sure if it is accurate but he does know a lot about a lot!

Put the new runway at Gatwick.
they could put 2 new runways at LGW but it really wouldn't attract new transit business to the UK. It would improve point to point mainly holiday traffic at Gatwick, but thats not where the money is, and not enough money to repay the immense cost of the project.and have no effect on "over full LHR". If we are going to have to take the pain of a new runway and the associated infrastructure then it needs to be LHR! Edited by Capetown

When roads get busy, the traffic can stop and it is two-dimensional.

Airspace is three-dimensional and when it gets busy it can't just stop!

London (Thames Valley) is already extremely busy, as is the rest of the city, and when you think about it, people often travel for miles to fly out of London!

Surely it would be better to spread the congestion around a bit? There are many large military runways which are now unused or have been dug up for construction. Greenham Common, Bentwaters, Woodbridge, Mildenhall soon! Some of these are only an hour or so from London anyway and much easier to get to from outlying areas.

I recently put an Airspace Classification brief together (for my main job) and NATS kindly allowed me to include the following Airspace useage video clip which shows a real day in our skies based on real radar traces. Fascinating stuff which will highlights the issue I believe? Enjoy.

[email=

]
[/email]

SG