awkward neighbour

MAPLE LEAF

After all, if you don't / can't, they may just (snip) generally make life awkward.

I get the feeling they might be doing that afterwards anyway.

Just making sure your good for a blame claim first.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is nothing wrong with asking for Pl, certs and recommendations. After all, if everything is in place and your good at what you do and you can prove it with the paperwork and recommendations, then you shouldn't have a problem. Just take a bit more care and do a good job and when all is done and nothing is damaged you can psychologicaly flip him the finger. Only problem then is the money!!!!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Edited by David Humphries
Language

I don't understand why the nay sayers here are so cautious of what seems to be a well informed third party.

Many companies now have websites containing customer endorsements, I have even seen some with PDF's of insurance certs. You don't get much tangible for your insurance premium so why not provide the paperwork, you are proposing to work as a third party on this persons land after all.

Providing this information changes nothing, it wont affect any liability or duty if care owed to the client or third party and since it seems you aren't getting the job without it you should be happy to provide it.

In answer to the question, I have had insurance and references checked in the past and on rare occasions the odd client has even asked if the insurance was paid annually or monthly and called the broker to check it was all pukka.

Maybe he/she has read the advice contained in the public leaflet "Choosing Your Tree Surgeon (Arborist)" that we produce, copy below.

TBH I don't think what they're requesting is unreasonable, perhaps 'unusual' and that's why there's an air of suspicion, and perhaps you could ask for the copy documents to be returned at the end of the job...just so you can pass them on to the next enquirer.

Dunno, just mi thoughts :001_huh:

Cheers, n hope the job goes smoothly..

Paul

ChoosingYourArborist.pdf

You could ask the neighbour for a copy of their data protection policy statement, how long they intend to retain your personal details, data sharing policy and destruction methods....

Perhaps also a certified copy of underground utility map to ensure your personal safety, avoid potential risk of harm and disruption to services. And maybe their health & safety policy and RA for contractors visiting their property....

You could also inform them that having a valid PL insurance policy in no way obliges you to make a claim against it - it always strikes me as a bit odd that some customers are so focussed on the provision of proof of insurance but don't realise they can't make you use it if you choose not to.

How do you feel about passing on details of CoC's / insurance? Does it make you uncomfortable?

I don't see it, in isolation, as a reason to be wary, just somebody trying to do some due diligence checks before letting a contractor work at their home. Is there more to it? An underlying neighbour dispute perhaps??