Hibiscus tree strange problem. Quarantine?

jeffpas

Question

Planted a small 'grove' of hibiscus trees- about 5 that I got on sale last fall.

One of them looks odd (see pics). This year it has not produced one flower.

Although it put out leaves, the leaves at all the twig ends are small and curled. Its been this way all year unchanged, and hasn't grown an inch taller. I have no idea what this is, does anyone?

My thinking is to pull this tree out and discard it, and replace it with a new one because I would be afraid whatever it has, would spread to the rest. Or is that overkill, literally.

Anyone have any thoughts?

P1010648.JPG.8acef8acf3ddc226c13779cd02d1cf8b.JPG

P1010649.JPG.4510583c32f80568bb1ad0d2b8fd6322.JPG

P1010650.JPG.6e2af699269f4e12dd34b80042b51c71.JPG

P1010651.JPG.300ff71bb8546176082076c87c6c774d.JPG

P1010652.JPG.124f3a8b5db6afa673941074172582ae.JPG

Edited by jeffpas

Seriously, did you think I was kidding about the location and competition from other types of plant material for food, water and sun lite?. Move the Hibiscus away from the Ivey, and in full sun into its own container so it will at least have a fighting chance of surriving. Osmocoat is a good slow release fertilizer that will work well with this plant in a container with proper potting soil and drainage in the bottom of the pot.

easy-lift guy

This isn't the same tree as the other thread. Sorry its a bit confusing I know.

This is one of a few hibiscus trees I bought from a nursery last fall at a clearance sale. They were about 4 feet high and all of them are doing fine except this one, which has some kind of fungus, wilt disease or dieback going on. The issue I'm facing now is, is it contagious?

The other post involves some hibiscus trees I later tried to grow from seeds, always a difficult prospect. They were doing fine until we had a freak stretch of 90 degree temps and no rain for weeks, leaving the watering up to my guesswork. My guess is that I drowned them, rotting their roots.

Your trying to grow a tropical plant in a non tropical environment. I could do the same thing here in Florida by attempting to grow tulips or a cherry tree. Not going to happen.

Moving material from one size pot to another is common. I have given the best professional advise I would give anyone, particularly considering what your attempting to accomplished and where and with what species of material. The rest is up to you.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy

These plants want full sun in this country; the more the merrier.

As said get it away from competition and into the sun. Don't give up on it; I have one that's been in and out of beds and pots several times and it's finally getting away healthily.

I should add that these are all hybrid Hibiscus trees and they are zone 5 cold hardy. They were planted last fall. I don't have any tropicals though I know those do have more showy flowers.

Can flies affect all the tips of all the branches? Every one of them the leaves are small and curled like that.

I'm afraid this is something contagious..... I will have to pull this tree out if I can't find an answer I can't afford to have the rest get whatever this is. Too bad its so dang diffcult to match even with that nice reference page Hidden Valley Hibsicus provided.

As far as getting them into the sun, just not an option. I have large white pines that would cost $1200- $2000 to remove and the neighbors have extremely tall locust trees, so there is a canopy.

I know its not ideal, but I have no choice. When you have a postage stamp yard, its a Vote for Hillary situation. Personally I would like to have hibiscus trees as opposed to never having them.

Luckily the other four are doing quite well and flowering also.

Edited by jeffpas

I should add that these are all hybrid Hibiscus trees and they are zone 5 cold hardy. They were planted last fall. I don't have any tropicals though I know those do have more showy flowers.

Can flies affect all the tips of all the branches? Every one of them the leaves are small and curled like that.

I'm afraid this is something contagious..... I will have to pull this tree out if I can't find an answer I can't afford to have the rest get whatever this is. Too bad its so dang diffcult to match even with that nice reference page Hidden Valley Hibsicus provided.

As far as getting them into the sun, just not an option. I have large white pines that would cost $1200- $2000 to remove and the neighbors have extremely tall locust trees, so there is a canopy.

I know its not ideal, but I have no choice. When you have a postage stamp yard, its a Vote for Hillary situation. Personally I would like to have hibiscus trees as opposed to never having them.

Luckily the other four are doing quite well and flowering also.

1. You actually have a Hibiscus bush surrounded by other plant material directly competing for food, water and sun light.

2. Thrips can cause the leafs of your bushes to curl as can aphid activity, however I do not see this present in the photos you have taken.

If your postage stamp yard already has hibiscus growing and blooming perhaps the single bush you was never grafted correctly and that can account for your results. Just from the pictures you have posted under the circumstances your bush pretty much looks normal, excluding no blooms.

Based on where you live and what your attempting to grow I believe your hibiscus bush will continue to struggle and never achieve what ever your expecting.

easy-lift guy

jeffpas I guess you're in the US of A - pricing in $US, a/c unit on the house - but the hardiness zone is irrelevant if you can't give your Hibiscus sun. If you can't do that you need to grow something else.

Dismissing all negativity. "Give up" is not helpful to me, or anyone else reading these threads.

I found this video interesting. The leaf curl looks a lot like my tree.

Calcium deficiency? But then I'm not seeing why it would strike one tree and not the other four nearby, which I've already said several times are healthy, thriving, and doing great.

[ame]

[/ame]

There is a product called "Ironite", which is a mineral supplement I'm suspecting may be helpful here- however the gamble would be that it isn't any kind of contagious issue. Its complicated by the fact that as he said in the video, the original curly leaves would not straighten out with the fertilizer so it would take quite a bit longer to see if this makes a difference.

Edited by jeffpas