Kit advice wanted for someone new to the industry

Joshw286

I'm looking at starting out as a tree surgeon. By the end of November I will have all my qualifications up to using a chainsaw from a rope. Has anyone got any advice on kit that would be good to start off with and that is suitable for climbing. I'll need at minimum trousers, boots, gloves and helmet any recommendations? Not looking for anything ridiculously expensive but I do want it to last awhile.

I'm looking at starting out as a tree surgeon. By the end of November I will have all my qualifications up to using a chainsaw from a rope. Has anyone got any advice on kit that would be good to start off with and that is suitable for climbing. I'll need at minimum trousers, boots, gloves and helmet any recommendations? Not looking for anything ridiculously expensive but I do want it to last awhile.

Go to the APF and try boots and trousers on. :001_smile:

The top stuff stuff costs big coin but not always do you need the " top stuff " My mate who I grounded for still uses an old Willans harness and up untill a few yeas ago still climbed on 3 core rope . So don't assume you have to have the cutting edge Carbon spikes etc to earn a living . By all means get it when you can afford it but dont break the bank to get started .

Thanks. Are there any brands or models that come recommended for trousers and boots? I'd go to the APF but you'll be talking to a salesman and they'll always say their stuff is the best!

Nope, you would be talking to dealers who carry different brands. Different types of trousers and boots suit different people but if you want to take a punt and spend several hundred pounds without trying them on first, there is a search button where you can get threads up in the bar at the top of the page to do some research then the dealers are down the right hand side. :001_smile:

In my experience it's all down to personal preference re kit choice.

I've had guys and girls work for me whose choice of kit differed tremendously in terms of cost and spec, unfortunately for you it'll be down to your own experience; ask 10 arbs a question of kit choice and you'll get 10 different answers I'd suspect.

Buy a basic set up first then, as and when you wish to update your kit, you can; the phrase 'all the gear and no idea' springs to mind...........

Visit shows, shops and search on line; read reviews to reduce your time but buy kit that feels comfortable and easy to use.

Hope it helps and good luck on your adventure into the industry..

Look on ebay. Try stuff on. Don't just buy stuff because its cheap - it may be cheap for a reason.

As said above, don't just buy what everyone else has - they may love it, you may not.

What do you want to do? Be employed? If you can get a job as an employee then kit is irrelevant as they supply PPE.

If you're doing courses, make sure you go somewhere that can provide / hire kit and that way you get to try lots of stuff out.

You find kits listed on ebay and facebook groups where people bought kit and then got bored, changed their minds, got kit supplied etc.

turning up for courses with all the kit does make you look like a bit of an all the gear no idea type (I know from experience) but it also means you get to learn on your own stuff from the word go.