Charging for delivering firewood and VAT

County 764

Hi All,

Anyone know the rules regards charging extra for firewood customers outwith your free delivery area? (if you have one)

Basically is it ok to charge one person £80 for a bag of hardwood with free delivery then charge another customer £90 they live 10 miles outwith the free delivery area? (Both of the above with the VAT at 5%)

I know delivery could be itemised on the invoice but then there's 5% VAT on the firewood and 20% on the delivery and accounting gets more complex.

Cheers

We do exactly that.Free delivery within 20 miles then more, usually £10/20, after that up to about 40 miles. We just have 5% included in both prices but you could be right in that the delivery charge should technically have 20% on it.

I can't help much but it's an interesting question, might be worth looking what larger companies like certainly wood do.

don't itemise it just call it a delivered price and charge 5% on it that way you save the customer a bob or two and they'll appreciate it.

Cheers tommy/ ghd

That's the way I'm thinking of doing it. I could possibly understand vat at 20% if its getting delivered by a pallet firm but not if its your own product and the point of sale is on delivery.

might ask a mate at hmrc but I bet its a grey area

Edited by County 764

VAT on delivery is at the same rate as the goods whether you itemise it or include it in the price (in this circumstance, at least): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70024-postage-and-delivery-charges/vat-notice-70024-postage-delivery-charges-and-direct-marketing

Exactly. I have had a VAT inspection and it was confirmed in writing. VAT on delivery follows VAT on product. So 5% on both.

VAT on delivery is at the same rate as the goods whether you itemise it or include it in the price (in this circumstance, at least): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70024-postage-and-delivery-charges/vat-notice-70024-postage-delivery-charges-and-direct-marketing

Thanks for the link. Excellent news :thumbup:

There's loads of firewood guys charging domestic customers at 20% on delivery.

Its a bit of a saving plus makes for easier bookkeeping