Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Looks like the Dalai Lama disagrees with you. Must be uninformed, I suppose. :001_rolleyes:

Well, for starters the I don't hold to the same world view as him.

Secondly I didn't realise he was a Muslim scholar.

Thirdly, I'm not sure what your point is?

My understanding of the nitty gritty issue of fundamentalist Islam is that it's founder was among other things a very violent man and the Koran teaches that all of the world must be subjugated under Islamic rule and law. That is Islam's primary goal and purpose.

It's very different to Christianity. That was what I was trying to point out to graham.

Thanks

Timon.

Well, for starters the I don't hold to the same world view as him.

Secondly I didn't realise he was a Muslim scholar.

Thirdly, I'm not sure what your point is?

My understanding of the nitty gritty issue of fundamentalist Islam is that it's founder was among other things a very violent man and the Koran teaches that all of the world must be subjugated under Islamic rule and law. That is Islam's primary goal and purpose.

It's very different to Christianity. That was what I was trying to point out to graham.

Thanks

Timon.

I didn't realise that you were either.

My point is that different views exist and some people might listen to the leader of a world religion on the subject rather than a treework forum. :001_smile:

Morning Graham.

Couldn't let this one go. There are very few passages in the Bible where God commands his people to kill and where he did it was for a very specific time and purpose. The over arching theme of the Bible is that we as flawed people (Genesis 3) should stop killing each other and instead love our neighbours as ourselves(Matt 4,5,6). Anyone who really believes that God somehow enjoys or needs us to kill on his behalf has a very distorted take on it.

It also teaches that his kingdom (heaven) is an eternal perfect place. This world is temporary and will at some point pass away, therefore we don't need to conquer, spread his rule and law by coercion or violence (which is what Islam teaches)

My point is that all religions don't teach the same thing and lumping them all together shows a very uninformed way of looking at it. [emoji106][emoji846]

Just wanted to say..

Shalom

Timon.

Hi Ti,

Did this purpose have anything to do with the notion that the victims were not worshipping Him, the one true God?

I have tried to point out in several previous posts that I don't believe all religions to be equally harmful. We need to be particularly concerned about fundamentalist Islam as unlike the other mainstream religions (and moderate muslims) it has not reformed itself, or it has gone backwards in choosing to take the teachings of the texts absolutely literally.

Where I do 'lump all religions together' is in the notion that structuring your life and your actions around the teachings of books written 1000's of years ago in a time of almost complete scientific ignorance is not a reasonable basis for creating a stable, civilsed global human society. There are much wiser ways to proceed.

I will stop talking about religion now though. I think I have made the point more than enough times to get my view across. Repeating it ad-nauseum doesn't seem to be moving the debate on. I see it as the 'umbrella' issue that makes all this horror tick, but this debate is more centered around protecting us from attack in the here and now, and what to do with the perpetrators, which is totally understandable.

Not a bad idea, but what would you propose doing with them after stripping their citizenship?. I mean to what country would you deport them to?, who would let them in?

The country the family originated in. Eg the Manchester bomber parents were Libiyan.

Morning Graham.

Couldn't let this one go. There are very few passages in the Bible where God commands his people to kill and where he did it was for a very specific time and purpose. The over arching theme of the Bible is that we as flawed people (Genesis 3) should stop killing each other and instead love our neighbours as ourselves(Matt 4,5,6). Anyone who really believes that God somehow enjoys or needs us to kill on his behalf has a very distorted take on it.

It also teaches that his kingdom (heaven) is an eternal perfect place. This world is temporary and will at some point pass away, therefore we don't need to conquer, spread his rule and law by coercion or violence (which is what Islam teaches)

My point is that all religions don't teach the same thing and lumping them all together shows a very uninformed way of looking at it. [emoji106][emoji846]

Just wanted to say..

Shalom

Timon.

Sent from my XT1580 using Arbtalk mobile app

My point is that different views exist and some people might listen to the leader of a world religion on the subject rather than a treework forum. :001_smile:

Totally get your point. However, (I do study, and teach basic Christian theology though so I have a fair idea what I'm talking about)

Abu Bakar Al Bagdadi is a leader of a (growing) world religion too.

I'd prefer to listen to/debate people on this forum than him to be honest!

[emoji846]

Timon.

You are aware that the Dalai Lama has said there are too many refugees coming into Europe? especially Germany.

"Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country," in an interview with German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. "Germany is Germany. There are so many that in practice it becomes difficult."

"From a moral point of view, too, I think that the refugees should only be admitted temporarily," the Dalai Lama said.

"When we look into the face of every single refugee, especially the children and women, we can feel their suffering," he said. "The goal should be that they return and help rebuild their countries."

Some people might listen to a leader of a world religion on the subject rather than a treework forum.....

Dalai Lama says there are 'too many refugees in Europe' | The Independent

597674cdd2422_dalailama.png.717ce834c205c5f38cf0da63c9989cef.png

Edited by scotspine1