Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Is this factually correct?, or do you pay 40% because your earnings plus Army pension push you over the threshold?

Yes mate, bad choice of wording by me! I wouldn't give it away out of choice!:001_rolleyes:

It's rubbish though really. I paid tax on all my earnings to accrue said pension, and then get hit for 40% when they give it back!

There are worse problems to have though for sure.

SG

I completely get that we need to take all measures to combat these attacks in the UK, but looking at it long term and globally, is there any way we can stop these things happening other than by teaching them that their holy books (their motivation) are bad ideas.

Finding and killing/incarcerating the perpetrators each time, closing our borders, is only solving a very small part of the problem.

The issue here is global bad ideas. In my mind the only sustainable remedy is to replace them with good ideas.

The teachings of Allah, specifically the concepts of Jihad and Martyrdom, need to be consigned to history along with the teachings of the 1000's of other Gods that humanity has invented and subsequently ditched over the millenia.

All the holy books contain good ideas and bad ideas. It is important to point out that it is our human brains and our capacity to reason that we use to pick the wheat from the chaff in these texts. Most Christians have had the good sense to defy much of the brutal commands of Yahweh.

If religious thinking is to stay with humanity (as looks likely), we at the very least need to get fundamental muslims to reconsider (think reasonably) about some of their beliefs. The only people who have any chance better than minus one of achieving this are other muslims who have already been through this process.

Their chances are admittedly probably not much greater than zero, but what other options have we got? We need to big these people up, and no doubt provide them with serious security!

What I can say for sure is that American presidents proudly proclaiming 'God Bless America' as they bomb the c**p out of the Middle East won't help our intellectual cause one bit. It's not the bombing I object to per se, but the implicit suggestion of divine authority. You can no doubt see the problem here.

This is nothing new really and more a case of history repeating itself. Where will it end?

Well, history has a habit of repeating itself doesn't it?

Have a look at what the Christian Crusades were all about and you may understand what this is all about a bit more.

The Real History of the Crusades | Christianity Today

SG

This is nothing new really and more a case of history repeating itself. Where will it end?

Well, history has a habit of repeating itself doesn't it?

Have a look at what the Christian Crusades were all about and you may understand what this is all about a bit more.

The Real History of the Crusades | Christianity Today

SG

I have to subscibe to Christianity Today to read the article Mike, can you give us a summary?

Yes mate, bad choice of wording by me! I wouldn't give it away out of choice!:001_rolleyes:

It's rubbish though really. I paid tax on all my earnings to accrue said pension, and then get hit for 40% when they give it back!

There are worse problems to have though for sure.

SG

It is rubbish, but it's also misleading.

It's what politicians do all the time.

You live local'ish to me, do you see these work shy bums that often get mentioned on here?

skip to 2.00 minutes in

OK? Not quite sure why you showed me that, or if it makes the same points as Stumpy's article. It is not related to my argument.

I am in no way apologising for Europe's past discretions and I am fully aware that Muslims have been barbaric for a very long time.

My point is that this violence is religiously motivated (surely there is no room for doubt on this). They want to conquer our lands and our minds for God. To have any hope to stop it happening we have to do something about (ie. diminish the influence of) religion. All religion. Surely there is no room for doubt on this either?

My point is that this violence is religiously motivated (surely there is no room for doubt on this). They want to conquer our lands and our minds for God. To have any hope to stop it happening we have to do something about (ie. diminish the influence of) religion. All religion. Surely there is no room for doubt on this either?

Amen to that!

OK? To have any hope to stop it happening we have to do something about (ie. diminish the influence of) religion. All religion. Surely there is no room for doubt on this either?

Imagine you moved to Saudi. Would you suddenly believe women shouldn't drive? Would you suddenly believe homosexuality was wrong? Would you suddenly believe stoning people to death was right?

I don't think someone's core beliefs can be easily changed. We think giving migrants a Western passport magically gives them a Western belief system - it clearly doesn't.

The best we can hope for is they stick to their part of the world and we stick to ours.