Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

A mate of mine has posted this elsewhere, I think it's a reasonable appraisal of what might be going on:

So, what's all this Ukraine brouhaha, and why are the Yanks involved? Aside from US assurances to Gorbachev in 1990 that NATO would not expand "one inch eastwards", I'm trying, as always, to follow the money and see what the geo-political underpinnings are. Could it be something to do with lucrative US exports of Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) to Europe, which are far more expensive than locally sourced or Russian gas? Something to do with the opening of Nordstream 2, which would bypass the current pipeline through Ukraine and cost that country billions in revenue, as well as reducing EU dependence on US LNG? Who can say. Intriguing, though. Links below.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/02/business/natural-gas-us-eu/index.html

WWW.BRUEGEL.ORG

Last update: 18 January 2022by Georg Zachmann, Giovanni Sgaravatti, Ben McWilliamsThis dataset will be updated...

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Sky-high European demand drove U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports to a record in December, Refinitiv data...

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Cleaning up fuel producers' climate pollution at home could help the industry avoid "a trans-Atlantic green gas war."

WWW.LATIMES.COM

Newly released documents suggest America didn’t deliver on its 1990 deal to limit NATO’s reach in exchange for Soviet...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

GEORGE Orwell's 1984 has been slapped with an "offensive" warning as woke madness hits new heights within Britain's...

🤷‍♂️😞

1984... 'challenging texts...'   FFS; they'll be warning the tender little darlings about Family Guy next

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mark J said:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

Newly released documents suggest America didn’t deliver on its 1990 deal to limit NATO’s reach in exchange for Soviet...

Without defending one little bit Putin, a horrible little psycopath with serious Little Man's Disease, Russia has always been paranoid about expansion across Europe; the North European Plain extends from Moscow to Ostend and gives all Russian leaders sleepless nights.  The paranoia results from being invaded twice via the Plain when both invaders all but reached the gates of Moscow.  In Putin's shoes I would feel uncomfortable about the US presence in Germany, Ukraine etc.

Also, and I don't know if this is relevant, the independence of Ukraine cost Russia its free bread basket; Ukraine grew most of Russia's wheat, now Russia has to buy it

Edited by nepia
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, nepia said:

Without defending one little bit Putin, a horrible little psycopath with serious Little Man's Disease, Russia has always been paranoid about expansion across Europe; the North European Plain extends from Moscow to Ostend and gives all Russian leaders sleepless nights.  The paranoia results from being invaded twice via the Plain when both invaders all but reached the gates of Moscow.  In Putin's shoes I would feel uncomfortable about the US presence in Germany, Ukraine etc.

Also, and I don't know if this is relevant, the independence of Ukraine cost Russia its free bread basket; Ukraine grew most of Russia's wheat, now Russia has to buy it

It's been a while in the making:

PEOPLESWORLD.ORG

The world is fearful of possible war once again. This time the hotspot is Ukraine, with the accompanying crisis there and...

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Kay-Achim Schönbach said the idea that Russia wanted to invade Ukraine was nonsense.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nepia said:

My penny's worth to add to this is resources. Time was when strong countries invaded weak ones, subjugated Its people's and expropriated it's resources. Germany has neither oil nor gas only coal. Russia is playing war games with the West. They supply, we pay. They put the price up by strangling supply, then the yanks step in.

We're thinking of going off-grid 😂