Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, Mark J said:

Somebody must have seen this coming.

like most things ,those in the know probably did but no-one listened too them !!  I know one HGV  driving  trainer that I did my test with , who had fairly steady business for decades but then less and less learners because EU drivers were already trained ( to their own questionable standards ) so not much work for instructors , now even if many candidates came forward there are not enough trainers !!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Governments for years have known there is/was a massive shortage of drivers and did nothing about it, like most things they only sort stuff out when the muck hits the spinny round thing.

Scary to think that governments are just winging it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The suggestion that to allow EU drivers to come over to help is a bit pointless as I doubt many would even be interested , who would move to another country for what is quite possibly short term work , not really that well paid and where will they live ??  very costly and  hard to get housing and I understand there is a shortage of drivers in most EU countries as well ...

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Governments for years have known there is/was a massive shortage of drivers and did nothing about it, like most things they only sort stuff out when the muck hits the spinny round thing.

why do you think it is the Governments responsibility ?  it is up to the industry surely ?  would you blame the Government if there was a shortage of Tree Surgeons ?  not really there responsibility is it !! ??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bah if I can't get any diesel without queuing up this weekend I won't be delivering on Monday, fancy a few days off anyway :)
In all seriousness though, why would anyone want to drive lorries for a living now days, hated by almost everyone else and who want's to spend the week shitting in hedges and sleeping in a box for crap pay, if they want more drivers they need to start by doing away with the CPC and then get the DVSA off the arse of drivers for trivial issues so they can pay their own wages.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

The only people to blame for this bollocks are the media.

It really is that simple.

100% Mark 

Utter utter scaremongering bullshit. Watching some of the interviews this morning was a joke, tv news anchors demanding an instant fix to every problem. Normally it comprises something along the lines of fetch cheap labour in not train our own people. 

057DF703-1F97-40A9-8698-086A3A41D375.png

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, scraggs said:

Bah if I can't get any diesel without queuing up this weekend I won't be delivering on Monday, fancy a few days off anyway :)
In all seriousness though, why would anyone want to drive lorries for a living now days, hated by almost everyone else and who want's to spend the week shitting in hedges and sleeping in a box for crap pay, if they want more drivers they need to start by doing away with the CPC and then get the DVSA off the arse of drivers for trivial issues so they can pay their own wages.

CPC is and always has been utter bollocks. In all fairness most modern tractor units are quite comfortable for a nights kip. The biggest failing is in the standard of facilities available ie truck stops etc. 

Just now, Johnsond said:

100% Mark 

Utter utter scaremongering bullshit. Watching some of the interviews this morning was a joke, tv news anchors demanding an instant fix to every problem. Normally it comprises something along the lines of fetch cheap labour in not train our own people. 

057DF703-1F97-40A9-8698-086A3A41D375.png

Yip, Ive yet to 'panic buy' in my life. Went to fuel up today since I was low and the local station was mobbed. Its bogroll gate all over again. 

• Like 2