Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

D6CA88C0-3C78-4C7A-86ED-7D1263A5C8B2.thumb.jpeg.996da1f785a831fa4ce62f54b6e3d060.jpeg

I don't see a problem here, both very sensible policies again

On the issue of littering I'd go even further. Increase the fine to something hefty like a couple of hundred and also make the perpetrators do a couple of weeks of full time litter picking. To really bring the point home. There really is no excuse that I can think of for such behaviour, in any circumstance. Possibly controversially, I would also classify dog shit as litter, if it's in an urban environment.

Drug abuse is clearly a much bigger issue to resolve. It's not as simple as punishing addicts. That's just pointless and unfair. Obviously punish dealers and traffickers as harshly as possible but we're never going to stop the supply as long as there's money to be made. Anyway, history shows that prohibition never works. It's a tired cliché but we need to treat the cause of the malaise, not the symptoms. That is a huge subject!

Addendum.

The issue with drugs in prisons really needs to be tackled. That should be much easier to stamp out or at least severely curtail, than drug supply and abuse in wider society. Apparently a significant number of people acquire a drug addiction in jail. That's not right.

• Like 2

In many cases addictions are acquired through exposure to trauma of sorts. I think decriminalisation of possession for personal use is a wise idea. (I'm aware that there will likely be a counter-paper out there too.)

drug-policy-in-portugal-english-20120814.pdf?auto=&bg=f0f0f0&fit=fill&fm=jpg&h=628&pad=40&q=80&w=1200

WWW.OPENSOCIETYFOUNDATIONS.ORG
This Open Society Foundations report documents how decriminalization can reduce drug consumption...

I also think that there needs to be more money pumped into the system to encourage rehabilitation and to prevent people from falling into addiction in the first place. It currently takes months to even get on a waiting list.

Fining addicts is like fining the homeless, it's a vacuous pursuit. Litterbugs deserve to be fined.

@TIMON  What's your take on it?

What would really help is more help and funding for programmes that actually work... at least that way those that genuinely want help to conquer their addictions can get help.

(Trouble with that is... as soon as the government decide to fund a programme, the money comes with so many strings and conditions attached, the programme inevitably loses its effectiveness because of red tape and interference from ‘experts’ who are anything but..,,)

Decriminalisation won’t stop people taking drugs it will just mean that ‘dealers’ will become licensed. Perhaps there’s an opening for Mr Bezos there..

Prohibition doesn’t work, but it at least provides a small measure of resistance against the tide.

Locking people up doesn’t work and being at the mercy of drug barons inside due to addiction is a hell on Earth.

More incentives for people to get help is what is needed.

Edit: Now that the Taliban have free reign in Afghanistan, I imagine the flow of cheap heroin through Pakistan will increase.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Boris tells us not to panic over fuel shortage, guess what... there is NO fuel in Sudbury unless you drive an emergency vehicle. Red diesel it is then.

Queues at the Tesco forecourt as I passed a few minutes ago.

The Brex-pocalyse is upon us..... 😬 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

I went to the bakers earlier a journey that normally takes me 20 minutes there and back, over an hour today because everywhere is backed up with traffic trying to get in to petrol stations.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Boris tells us not to panic over fuel shortage, guess what... there is NO fuel in Sudbury unless you drive an emergency vehicle. Red diesel it is then.

Keep an eye out for coppers/paramedics/firemen filling cans.

48 minutes ago, Big J said:

MSM this morning J 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️as someone else on here said they can literally make something out of nothing. Having it front and centre this morning all over every network and then saying don’t bulk or panic buy the outcome was predictable. Wagon driver shortage has been building for years, sadly in multiple interviews this  morning it seemed the only answer the media could come up with was fetch in foreign labour. Short term fixes and cheap labour are not the answer I’d say, train people and look long term. Regards Xmas etc a few less wagonloads of cheap Chinese shit and a few less turkeys on the plates wont harm anyone, consumerism and wanting the next best thing is to blame for a lot of what’s wrong today.

You still running that V10 eco wagon 😳

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

MSM this morning J 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️as someone else on here said they can literally make something out of nothing. Having it front and centre this morning all over every network and then saying don’t bulk or panic buy the outcome was predictable. Wagon driver shortage has been building for years, sadly in multiple interviews this  morning it seemed the only answer the media could come up with was fetch in foreign labour. Short term fixes and cheap labour are not the answer I’d say, train people and look long term. Regards Xmas etc a few less wagonloads of cheap Chinese shit and a few less turkeys on the plates wont harm anyone, consumerism and wanting the next best thing is to blame for a lot of what’s wrong today.

You still running that V10 eco wagon 😳

MSM again? How about the government who are known liars keeping it shut, don't panic people leads to panic. Also it's not so easy to get tanker drivers, my brother is a driver who looked into getting ADR qualified, if he could, which he can't find anywhere to do the training it would take weeks if not months.