Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

On 13/04/2021 at 17:21, nepia said:

A guy clambering into his own car in front of three cops can hardly be stressful. 

I disagree?

What does he have in his car? a gun? knife? Is he going to run you over? etc.

Unfortunately police officers are far more likely to be shot by a black person than a white person. They are just scared and are wanting to be the one who shoots first.

Although the police in America have killed a lot of black people, black people are far more likely to be killed by another black person than the police.

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

IMG_2360.jpg

Of course it can as thankfully we still live in a democracy.

Let's use the system to change our politics. It is that simple but we have to hold our nerve at the ballot box and vote for the long game not who is less bad for tomorrow 

The post office managers who were wrongly accused of stealing money should be in for more than they were accused of stealing I should think . Some are dead now but it has ruined most of thier lives from that day onward .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skyhuck said:

I disagree?

What does he have in his car? a gun? knife? Is he going to run you over? etc.

Unfortunately police officers are far more likely to be shot by a black person than a white person. They are just scared and are wanting to be the one who shoots first.

Although the police in America have killed a lot of black people, black people are far more likely to be killed by another black person than the police.

At the point in discussion the guy's just getting in the car; he's not at the wheel, engine running.  Of course we don't know his intentions but at that stage and with three on one there's no need to panic - especially with 26 years service behind you!  Be alert, be ready for anything yes - jump on him but don't get carried away.

10 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The post office managers who were wrongly accused of stealing money should be in for more than they were accused of stealing I should think . Some are dead now but it has ruined most of thier lives from that day onward .

The arrogance of the PO in pursuing the matter years ago is unbelievable.  Anyone could see that there was something obviously very wrong going on and I don't mean the postmasters.  Dozens of lifetime honest, hardworking folk suddenly filching thousands of pounds from the PO and being arrogant enough themselves to think they'd get away with it?  It had 'this is just wrong; the software needs close examination' all over it yet the PO shut its eyes and ploughed on.

Terrible for the victims, inexcusable by the PO. 

• Like 6

Green party?

They'd be a good option, they've obviously got their priorities in the right order. Sadly though unless/until we can reshape our electoral system to something more like Proportional Representation they'll always be a "wasted vote" in our broken system.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sime42 said:
48 minutes ago, Stere said:
Green party?

They'd be a good option, they've obviously got their priorities in the right order. Sadly though unless/until we can reshape our electoral system to something more like Proportional Representation they'll always be a "wasted vote" in our broken system.

But is it a wasted vote? Just because a party does not get in does't mean the big two dont see where their votes went and adjust policy. 

6 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

But is it a wasted vote? Just because a party does not get in does't mean the big two dont see where their votes went and adjust policy. 

A vote is never wasted, obvs only one side wins, its getting it representative of the population. K

I see your point but I think you give the ruling elite too much credit. They're too arrogant to change the way they behave, unless they are really forced to. Independents and all the smaller parties would have to attract so many votes between them as to deprive the big two of the majority. That's a lot to ask.

The "wasted vote" was intentionally in quotation marks, it was a somewhat tongue in cheek comment. I've voted for the smaller parties in the past, and will do so in future. I just meant that our current system is not really fair for the likes of them.

• Like 1