Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

16 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Iraq - I stay in contact with the deputy major of Basra and I am in no doubt that the majority of that region are eternally grateful for the removal of Saddam. 

but would the deputy mayor have reached that position under Sadam's regime? He probably owed his rank to the demise of Saddam. I have no doubt Saddam's was a bad regime (wasn't he there because of US  wanting a proxy to fight Iran?) but was the cost  in life and instability a good way to do it?

9 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

but would the deputy mayor have reached that position under Sadam's regime? He probably owed his rank to the demise of Saddam. I have no doubt Saddam's was a bad regime (wasn't he there because of US  wanting a proxy to fight Iran?) but was the cost  in life and instability a good way to do it?

Who knows, but my guess would be no - because he'd still be what he was before the 2003 war - a colonel in the Iraqi army, but not a Ba'ath party member nor and Sunni and from the historically despised (by Saddam) SE region of the country.

Depends who you ask I guess...  One of the dinner guests that was fed to the lions by Uday (if they weren't already dead) (I visited his palace, saw those cages and walked those passageways - put a reet chill into your soul) might have a similar view as someone that was starving to death in the South who, conversely, might have an entirely different view to someone from within the privileged inner circle of the Ba'ath party in Baghdad...  Like Mick said earlier, depends who you ask I guess.

In another few years Boris will be telling us, "I'm like a smart person", sound familiar?

It’s incredible when you sit and think about it, Boris: our greatest hope at the moment, he’s going to lead Great Britain through a fairly difficult period in its history[emoji85], he’s the best we can come up with from the party we elected to run our country! Police at his door on Friday night to sort out a domestic, I mean ffs, what a ridiculous situation this country has put itself in, I have to laugh, but I also fucking well despair because I know that imminently mr j and difflock will be on defending the indefensible[emoji849][emoji38]

We are a country of spoilt brats and we are about to meet the consequences of that charge.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mull said:

I know that imminently mr j

Not this call sign Mull....

I'm inclined to agree - what a state to have gotten ourselves into.

I did start a reply to Mr B's earlier post about having the press all over everything you do as a politician, and (perhaps even worse) every swinging dick with an ill informed opinion picking holes in every thing they do, or don't, do.

It has to take a certain type of person to even want to subject themselves to that level of dissection - no wonder Westminster is full to the gunnels with weirdoes..

16 minutes ago, Mull said:

It’s incredible when you sit and think about it, Boris: our greatest hope at the moment, he’s going to lead Great Britain through a fairly difficult period in its historyemoji85.png, he’s the best we can come up with from the party we elected to run our country! Police at his door on Friday night to sort out a domestic, I mean ffs, what a ridiculous situation this country has put itself in, I have to laugh, but I also fucking well despair because I know that imminently mr j and difflock will be on defending the indefensibleemoji849.pngemoji38.png

We are a country of spoilt brats and we are about to meet the consequences of that charge.

17 minutes ago, Mull said:

It’s incredible when you sit and think about it, Boris: our greatest hope at the moment, he’s going to lead Great Britain through a fairly difficult period in its historyemoji85.png, he’s the best we can come up with from the party we elected to run our country! Police at his door on Friday night to sort out a domestic, I mean ffs, what a ridiculous situation this country has put itself in, I have to laugh, but I also fucking well despair because I know that imminently mr j and difflock will be on defending the indefensibleemoji849.pngemoji38.png

19 minutes ago, Mull said:

If Johnson and his sidekick from over the water come about later I'll be all over them, may need someone to watch my back mind. The fact that something like 0.2% of the population get to select the new leader of the Tories, most of them coffin dodgers is beyond me.

• Like 2

Not this call sign Mull....

I'm inclined to agree - what a state to have gotten ourselves into.

I did start a reply to Mr B's earlier post about having the press all over everything you do as a politician, and (perhaps even worse) every swinging dick with an ill informed opinion picking holes in every thing they do, or don't, do.

It has to take a certain type of person to even want to subject themselves to that level of dissection - no wonder Westminster is full to the gunnels with weirdoes..

Nothing to disagree with there Kev, I’d also agree that social media has hindered society by giving out far too much information... or misinformation.

I think independence for Scotland is a certainty now, for better or for worse, BJ is more than happy to be rid, although he’ll never actually say now going forward.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mull said:

I think independence for Scotland is a certainty now

Independent in the E.U.? 

See how that worked out for Ireland, a dependency culture rooted in pandering to Brussels. A country fast losing it's national identity.......

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The fact that something like 0.2% of the population get to select the new leader of the Tories, is beyond me.

We dont vote for a President, this is not the USA or France. We also dont vote for a Prime Minister. 

In a general election you vote for your local MP and if they are part of a party that forms a majority (if it gets enough seats) they become the ruling party. That party had previously voted for it's leader, that leader becomes Prime Minister.

The current Prime Minster has stood down. The party then chooses who the new leader will be, they vote on it in a democratic vote. 

It's called democracy. You might want to read a book about it or something. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1