Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

7 minutes ago, breffni said:

I'd choose the US hegemony over China's any day of the week, as much of a shower of hoors that they can be. 

Firstly, assuming there MUST be a hegemony, why? 

Apart from eating dogs, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me, look at the Chinese in Africa, build a few roads, schools etc. then steal all the raw materials, at least they do it politely, don’t threatened to flatten the place, then do it.

36 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Why so eager to be subjugated?

Just saying ‘oh sure they can be naughty, but have you seen the alternative?’ Isn’t much of an argument.

I’m not for a second suggesting it’s an ideal situation Mick, and neither am I blind to the flaws. 

There’s no eagerness on my part for subjugation but there’s even less for the sort of chaos which is inevitable in the void which invariably ensues. 

It’s all very well saying let’s not fuck things up whilst sitting in Devon, or the Charente for that matter.

Have you thought that the folks from N. Korea (where a quarter of the population were killed by US bombs) Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and countless other recipients of some freedom, might consider things a bit fucked up already?

Edited by Mick Dempsey

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Has always been so in my lifetime, 

, probably  when they first latched on to the Balfour declaration.

Interested to hear why you think Balfour declaration is central to US foreign policy (if I’ve understood what you meant?) and perhaps where in the equation global oil dependency sits as an influence. 

Maybe, just maybe, nations declaring zero carbon by 20XX will fundamentally change the dynamic? 

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s all very well saying let’s not fuck things up whilst sitting in Devon, or the Charente for that matter.

Have you thought that the folks from N. Korea (where a quarter of the population were killed by US bombs) Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and countless other recipients of some freedom, might consider things a bit fucked up already?

Now that’s just plain Saturday night, 2nd bottle, completely unthinkable nonsense!

There’s NO WAY I’m going across the river to Devon!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Interested to hear why you think Balfour declaration is central to US foreign policy (if I’ve understood what you meant?)

No I meant that was the start of US flexing their muscles and making poor foreign policy decisions.

As a nation they are insular but because of their history  highly prejudiced about the dismemberment of the british empire (I have no problem with the  british losing their overseas interests but it was done badly because of US influence). Their dogma and fear of communism was laughable were it not for the bloodshed it caused.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s all very well saying let’s not fuck things up whilst sitting in Cornwall, or the Charente for that matter.

North Korea - has the resident regime caught up or exceeded the US inflicted death toll yet?

Vietnam - haven’t got a reply to hand for that one 

Iraq - I stay in contact with the deputy major of Basra and I am in no doubt that the majority of that region are eternally grateful for the removal of Saddam. 

Afghanistan - I wasn’t there long enough to benefit from the type of personal relationships established in Iraq but I can make an educated guess that there is considerable relief at the demise of ISIS (maybe a ½ decent example of the medieval chaos which inevitably follows in the absence of a bad ass?)

10 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

North Korea - has the resident regime caught up or exceeded the US inflicted death toll yet?

Vietnam - haven’t got a reply to hand for that one 

Iraq - I stay in contact with the deputy major of Basra and I am in no doubt that the majority of that region are eternally grateful for the removal of Saddam. 

Afghanistan - I wasn’t there long enough to benefit from the type of personal relationships established in Iraq but I can make an educated guess that there is considerable relief at the demise of ISIS (maybe a ½ decent example of the medieval chaos which inevitably follows in the absence of a bad ass?)

Hmmmm ISIS, was the destruction of ISIS the stated intention of the war in Afghanistan?

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Hmmmm ISIS, was the destruction of ISIS the stated intention of the war in Afghanistan?

Noooo...  That would have been the war on drugs, which they 'forgot about' when the war for oil started...  ?  Then when they remembered again (a bit too late) it had a entirely different imperative...  Hey ho, things change - so long as the pals in Halliburton et al keep a steady stream of government contracts etc etc...