Jump to content
Mick Dempsey

Making the news today....

Recommended Posts

A fairly chunky commentary on tax, society, economics and inequality from the Guardian:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2019/jun/06/socialism-for-the-rich-the-evils-of-bad-economics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook&fbclid=IwAR18TDnxKlbTBtJlo_Q0nFxrpeweFx3Ps08NgjsjwpOcJhyBAX6Ilc_lAD8

 

It's a fair long piece rather than a quick glimpse...

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2019 at 16:03, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I suspect Boris is laughing his tits off!

 

On the one hand, any PR is good PR and on the other, when this is laughed out of court he’ll (a) capitalise upon the positive PR and (b) once and for all, the BS, desperate claim of anti democratic Remain supporters that “it was the bus what dunnit’ will, irrevocably be flush down the pan. 

 

Laughing his tits off...

You heard it here first.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48554853

 

Interesting that their Justices haven't given their reasons. These are to be provided at a later date. Potential banana skin for Boris nearer the sharp end of the leadership attempt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EdwardC said:

You heard it here first.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48554853

 

Interesting that their Justices haven't given their reasons. These are to be provided at a later date. Potential banana skin for Boris nearer the sharp end of the leadership attempt.

Just heard on the news. No surprise really. 

 

Feel a bit sorry for the muppets that put up the £300k crowdfund to bring the suit. A fool and his money are easily parted....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stubby said:

Genuine question ...Why ?  

it was just a thought Stubby -There is  a lot more  shock absorption in a regular tyre compared to a solid one. perhaps science has brought us along way since yesteryear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Paul Cleaver said:

it was just a thought Stubby -There is  a lot more  shock absorption in a regular tyre compared to a solid one. perhaps science has brought us along way since yesteryear

Yea but the one in the picture is not " solid " It just has no compressed air in it .  In fact it looks to absorb quite a lot .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

A fairly chunky commentary on tax, society, economics and inequality from the Guardian:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2019/jun/06/socialism-for-the-rich-the-evils-of-bad-economics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook&fbclid=IwAR18TDnxKlbTBtJlo_Q0nFxrpeweFx3Ps08NgjsjwpOcJhyBAX6Ilc_lAD8

 

It's a fair long piece rather than a quick glimpse...

I'm interested as to why YOU would post it, I'm well to the left of you  but not particularly socialist although I have observed the post war swing away from the ideals that produced the welfare state and am not that sanguine about it.

 

However in the apparent awareness that current exploitation of resources is probably not sustainable I do identify with this grauniad piece, and have alluded to it before. Having super rich people who can afford to ignore calls to better conserve resources does the globe no good. I also fail to see the benefits to the super rich as persons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yea but the one in the picture is not " solid " It just has no compressed air in it .  In fact it looks to absorb quite a lot .

Stubby I think you are right, the air in a conventional tyre takes the shock as it compresses but it is the tyre that absorbs the energy, as heat and dissipates it as well as the springs of the suspension, with the dampers then absorbing their energy. This means the whole mass of the tyre is unsprung weight. If you can have a flexible link between the tread and the wheel centre that can keep the tread on the road without altering the point of rotation above the ground then the tread is the only bit of unsprung weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Stubby I think you are right, the air in a conventional tyre takes the shock as it compresses but it is the tyre that absorbs the energy, as heat and dissipates it as well as the springs of the suspension, with the dampers then absorbing their energy. This means the whole mass of the tyre is unsprung weight. If you can have a flexible link between the tread and the wheel centre that can keep the tread on the road without altering the point of rotation above the ground then the tread is the only bit of unsprung weight.

True . And having done a bit on bikes reducing unsprung weight is key to handling .  Hence Dymag and all the others ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.