Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

When I first read about this I genuinely thought it was one of those fake news satire pieces.
Then I realised it actually happened.

UNWATCH.ORG

GENEVA, July 24, 2019 — Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Pakistan were among members of the UN’s 54-nation economic and social council, a principal organ of the world body, who voted to single out and condemn Israel yesterday as the only country in the world that violates women’s rights. The Jewish state was harshly and repeatedly condemned in a resolution, adopted 40 to 2 with 9 abstentions and 3 absent (see breakdown below), for allegedly being the “major obstacle” for Palestinian women “with regard to their advancement, self-reliance, and integration in the development of their society.” Out of 20 items on the UN Economic and Social Council’s 2018-2019 agenda, only one — Item No. 16 against Israel — focuses on condemning a specific country. All the other focus areas concern global topics such as disaster relief assistance and the use of science and technology for development. The resolution completely ignores how Palestinian women’s rights are impacted by their own governing authorities—the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank, and Hamas in Gaza—nor does it mention how women are discriminated against within patriarchal Palestinian society. Moreover, ECOSOC concluded its annual session by ignoring the world’s worst abusers of women’s rights, refusing to pass a single resolution on the situation of women in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, or DR Congo, all of which ranked in the top ten worst countries in last year’s Global Gender Gap Report, produced by the World Economic Forum. Hillel Neuer, Executive Director of UN Watch, condemned the delegates’ abuse of the UN body as a forum to target Israel. “The UN reached new heights of absurdity by …
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

When I first read about this I genuinely thought it was one of those fake news satire pieces.
Then I realised it actually happened.

UNWATCH.ORG

GENEVA, July 24, 2019 — Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Pakistan were among members of the UN’s 54-nation economic and social council, a principal organ of the world...

Possibly a political post ? Israel aint known fr womens rights - hence Orthodox prayer of ' Thank god I was not born a woman' but I am not one to judge the Haaredi , K

PRESS.HSE.GOV.UK
A property investment company and its director have been fined after a worker fell from a tree causing fatal injuries...  
Bad business all round, bloke should not have been sent up the ladder and quite right the HSE followed up.

I am intrigued though, there was a report on accident statistics recently and there are a lot of deaths in the 'agriculture fishing and forestry' sector. How many are tree surgeons doing the job properly as opposed to operations like this which should never have been allowed? In other words, how dangerous is doing it properly? Maybe the AA have stats? Or should?

Possibly a political post ? Israel aint known fr womens rights - hence Orthodox prayer of ' Thank god I was not born a woman' but I am not one to judge the Haaredi , K

I’m just astounded that Iran, Saudi, Pakistan and Yemen can expect to be taken seriously, and keep a straight face when voting against another country (regardless of who it is) for their record on women’s rights......
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Bad business all round, bloke should not have been sent up the ladder and quite right the HSE followed up.

I am intrigued though, there was a report on accident statistics recently and there are a lot of deaths in the 'agriculture fishing and forestry' sector. How many are tree surgeons doing the job properly as opposed to operations like this which should never have been allowed? In other words, how dangerous is doing it properly? Maybe the AA have stats? Or should?

I don’t think the stats to properly answer your question even exist. 

Im not sure there is any energetic push from any notable industry party to filter out the homeowner / farmer / have a go hero figures from legit Arb activities either. 

Panic and sensationalism lends itself quite well to justification for more courses, qual’s, refreshers etc - all of which are revenue streams in their own right. 

I suspect the instances of genuine arb related accidents pales into complete insignificance when measured by number of practitioners / number of incidents and then compared to a sample of other activities (driving for example.)

• Like 1

Who’s gone to Environment Sec then? I’ve seen nothing on the news yet??  

A sad reflection of where that department appears to feature in relation to the other headliners. 

A missed opportunity to embrace and overtly demonstrate the importance of that brief. 

Gove, albeit easy to not like, will be a loss to Environment brief. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

I did consider Aliyah a few years ago. But the Mrs resisted the urge to become a Middle Eastern wife....

Triads V students mass fight:

WWW.SCMP.COM

Force makes decision with advice from rural leaders, but organiser says this only fuels suspicions that officers are...

Looks like it might kick off again on Saturday....

Bamboo sticks as weapons