Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

I have a similar response to the media resorting to asking people how they feel, it's the news not a self help focus group.

This and your previous post all very accurate.

News was much more fair and balanced when they simply reported what was happening.

But it now encompasses so much commentary and personal opinion that the pure factual nature of it has been diminished practically to the point of being non-existent.

• Like 3

It's got to the point where I actively avoid the news. Usually relenting once an evening whilst eating tea or a quick skim through the news feed on your phone.

I wouldn't be a surprise if there is a link between the levels of depression, anxiety etc and the rise of 24/7 news and not having the common sense to just turn it off and avoid.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

This and your previous post all very accurate.

News was much more fair and balanced when they simply reported what was happening.

But it now encompasses so much commentary and personal opinion that the pure factual nature of it has been diminished practically to the point of being non-existent.

I'm not sure that news has ever been 'more fair and balanced', that's not how it operates, it serves to divide and conquer us, 'opinion pieces' have been the norm for some time. 
The Daily Heil hasn't really changed its tune mind, it's as if it's owned by actual nazis. 

From 1934: 

r6ysv5shwh941.jpg

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My exit reference it is obvious sarcasm for a very depressing read, yet more doom mongering.

Just because the ship is sinking and I've water upto the top of my wellies doesn't mean you need to pee in them as well.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GarethM said:

My exit reference it is obvious sarcasm for a very depressing read, yet more doom mongering.

Just because the ship is sinking and I've water upto the top of my wellies doesn't mean you need to pee in them as well.

Apologies. Wrong end of the stick encountered here. 

On 17/08/2022 at 10:09, GarethM said:

It's got to the point where I actively avoid the news. Usually relenting once an evening whilst eating tea or a quick skim through the news feed on your phone.

I wouldn't be a surprise if there is a link between the levels of depression, anxiety etc and the rise of 24/7 news and not having the common sense to just turn it off and avoid.

I'm the same, try and listen to it a bit but end up just getting annoyed with the idiot presenters on the radio or tv and have to switch it off.

Was telling a customer this last week and he replied

"That's like the chap who got pissed off with reading how bad smoking is for you all the time. So he stopped reading."

• Like 1