Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

19 minutes ago, sime42 said:

I heard today that they're struggling in the Rhine Valley. There's a mass of industry along it with a lot of the associated goods and materials shipped in huge barges on the river. The levels are now so low that it's either physically impossible to float some of them or not economically viable because they have to be so lightly loaded.

I'm not sure that it's appreciated exactly how much rain is required to bring the system back up to normal levels, both here and on the continent. No doubt certain sections of the press will be screaming to have restrictions lifted as soon as we have even a couple of days of rain.

https://www.fm-magazine.com/news/2022/aug/why-low-water-levels-rhine-river-hurt-germanys-economy.html

don't think there will be many barges that will sail in 42 cm of water even empty 

11 hours ago, sime42 said:

Talking of Halogens. We'll be getting tasty chlorinated chicken from America soon. Thanks in part I think from good old Liz Truss.

I'm not sure that all halogens are bad for us; seaweed is meant to be very healthy because it contains lots of trace elements like Iodine. Maybe the "trace" is the pertinent bit, or perhaps because I is lower down the table, so less reactive.

Yes, but the interest in these elements by those who would exploit us is the role that science has found in that they play a part in numbing the intellect and their ability to be used to control a population by creating Dumb cluck indifference.

I totally agree that Iodine has a role to play in our biology and were you to cook with seaweed for instance you could provide your body with the source of raw material and rely on it to extract exactly the amount of this that is required...

The truth of this is that, as you say, it would be trace.. and that may be only a maybe a couple of ppm as is common  with trace elements but .not flooded in the drinking water.

If you think about it, folk put bleach down the toilet to eradicate bacteria and at the same time our drinking water is sterilised with the same stuff which then interacts with the 'necessary' bacteria in our digestive system doing who knows what harm to the intended  operation of the digestive tract .

On top of that we let ourselves be persuaded by the toothpaste industry to kill off all of nature in our mouths twice a day creating the dental problems that persist in todays world. 

I know from experimenting on myself that very quickly after stopping using Fluoride toothpaste, my mouth and teeth returned to normal and any plaque for instance was dealt with effectively by the flora in my mouth which I was no longer killing off ...

Drinking water can be easily sterilised with UV light and in some places like where I am in NW Scotland it is exposed to this, so why the need Chlorinate or Fluoridate or both ??

No brainer.... it kills BIOLOGY ...so ask yourself why when 'we' who are biology have been actively persuaded to consume the stuff for at least 2 generations... cheers.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

People really don't realise how short of water some parts of the country are, the Southeast needs steady rainfall and quickly. (That's fact, not speculation). There are stoppages all over the canal system due to lack of water. It really isn't 'on tap'.

Stoppages on the Canal? National emergency right there! 🤣🤣🤣

Sadly you can never remove chlorine from tap water entirely, even UV requires a reduced level as it's there to stop bacterial grow it pipework and storage tanks.

All water companies use as little as possible, but they store large amounts in underground tanks prior to use and the filtering sand separates out and can provide a breading ground for bacteria which they do remove regularly.

• Like 1