Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

11 minutes ago, GarethM said:

It was boiled prior to use, whilst dirty ish it was atleast sterile 

I think at the time they didn't realise that they were actually sterilising the water, it was just a step in the process of making the beer, which they'd noticed didn't make them sick as often as drinking water.

Just now, sime42 said:

Of course. 😜

I’ve a Cali Common and a Belgian “Christmas Mince Pie” Double fermenting right now. 

FG on both are down to 1.010SG and ready for bottling. The missus will do that tomorrow. 

We’ll wash the yeast on the Cali and re-use it for my next AG brew which will be an American ale. This strain should give a very clean profile which should pair well with the Citra Hops I intend to use. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Well I do know that the sweetener Aspartame was repeatedly denied access to the food chain  until 41 years ago during the Reagan administration the criminal Donald Rumsfeld nobbled the panel of scientists who were preventing this and it flooded in everywhere and into all sorts of products being promoted as 'healthy' or 'diet' what a massive scam on human health.

The scientists who were against this in our food had a good reason.. the fact that it caused holes in the brain tissue of the rats they tested it on and the microscope slides of this can/could be viewed with a google... a few years ago so possibly been removed today.

Anyway, I have to suspect it's introduction to be a player in dementia, and if you can get through the crap there is a whole list of other disabilities attributed to this poison, but you are right the whole food chain is bastardised, cheers.

We met a scientist once looking at brain tumours, he had no proven evidence (yet but was working towards it) that aspartame was causing brain tumours but could confirm it accelerated there growth massively!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Aspartame is in loads of stuff. As already mentioned its generally in stuff that is touted as healthy or sugar free.

Heres a challenge for you. Next time you're grocery shopping try and find a bottle of squash that doesnt contain Aspartame.

We only buy full fat Ribena as a Squash. The apple and orange juice we buy the kids does not have sweeteners added, we check. 

C1BBDF3B-3052-4402-99AF-0097DAE7F95D.png

I heard today that they're struggling in the Rhine Valley. There's a mass of industry along it with a lot of the associated goods and materials shipped in huge barges on the river. The levels are now so low that it's either physically impossible to float some of them or not economically viable because they have to be so lightly loaded.

I'm not sure that it's appreciated exactly how much rain is required to bring the system back up to normal levels, both here and on the continent. No doubt certain sections of the press will be screaming to have restrictions lifted as soon as we have even a couple of days of rain.

https://www.fm-magazine.com/news/2022/aug/why-low-water-levels-rhine-river-hurt-germanys-economy.html