Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

23 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Although i do agree with that to a point some peoles opinions are far more valuable than the opinion of others.

For example, I will give eggs opinion on how to install a water pump/supply far more weight than say your opinion. If your opinion is down right garbage then theres no problem whatsoever in calling it out.

Opinions only have value if they can be backed up with proven repeated, I was going to say science but I know a lot of people are scared of that word so maybe proven experience will do.

Unless someone is asking you what your favorite colour is, in that case yeah, you can respect and value their opinion.

IMO of course. :)

This is an internet forum, you could have a thread on "what is your favourite colour" and still get a good argument out of it

:pcguru:

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, Commando said:

Yep fair point, however it’s currently an unfair field where most are metered and some aren’t, surely it should be “one in, all in” and level it up. Agree re leaks, the water companies should have been given a timeframe to repair/replace the infrastructure following privatisation.. Surely the Gov. could still impose such a requirement or penalise them? Lets face it water is a strategic requirement..

Control the food supply.. control the people, I don't think that the water supply is any different and I trust nothing that the dolts try to feed me, it's all by design, imo only.

Luckily were not metered  for water up here .. but regardless I don't drink it anyway... this is what's in Scottish water and it's not pleasant, so I just drink and cook with H2O and if it has dissolved minerals in it all the better👍

WWW.WHATDOTHEYKNOW.COM

Could you please supply details, broken down by month, of all chemical additives used in the mains water supply serving Ardersier from 1st January 2016 to December 2016. Regards...

Having had a lifetime experience of working within local Government, I dispair of Council/Governmental double standards, where the pay blind-eyed lip service to their own staffs behavouir, work ethics  and compliance to standards, but "holier than thou" standards to any private sector operator, that is precieved as a threat to their operation. And this is so pervasive and insidious as to be impossible to get a grip on. Dont do as I do, but do as I say basically.

I did however know honest hard working individuals working within various public sectors, but the lazy rascals go undisclipined for a lifetime, which pollutes the whole organisation.

My boiled down essence of working for the Council or any Government department, an Orwellian type comment perhaps, but like most all of Orwells observations, so so true;

"Lets all pretend  .  .  ."

that we are working hard

that we are actually working the hours we are claiming

thet we are maintaining equipment

that we are not abusing equipment

thet we are not taking needless shortcuts

that we do not approach every single person task "mob handed"

etc

etc

etc

Edited by difflock
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Although i do agree with that to a point some peoles opinions are far more valuable than the opinion of others.

For example, I will give eggs opinion on how to install a water pump/supply far more weight than say your opinion. If your opinion is down right garbage then theres no problem whatsoever in calling it out.

Opinions only have value if they can be backed up with proven repeated, I was going to say science but I know a lot of people are scared of that word so maybe proven experience will do.

Unless someone is asking you what your favorite colour is, in that case yeah, you can respect and value their opinion.

IMO of course. :)

You need to consider the context though. This is a 'chin-wag' thread posted to give members the opportunity to post their opinions on recent news events. Varied opinion, right or wrong, is the threads 'raison d'etre', and has little or no consequence. 

Obviously, in threads concerning technical matters, I completely agree that some opinions carry far more weight then others. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Having had a lifetime experience of working within local Government, I dispair of Council/Governmental double standards, where the pay blind-eyed lip service to their own staffs behavouir, work ethics  and compliance to standards, but "holier than thou" standards to any private sector operator, that is precieved as a threat to their operation. And this is so pervasive and insidious as to be impossible to get a grip on. Dont do as I do, but do as I say basically.

I did however know honest hard working individuals working within various public sectors, but the lazy rascals go undisclipined for a lifetime, which pollutes the whole organisation.

My boiled down essence of working for the Council or any Government department, an Orwellian type comment perhaps, but like most all of Orwells observations, so so true;

"Lets all pretend  .  .  ."

that we are working hard

that we are actually working the hours we are claiming

thet we are maintaining equipment

that we are not abusing equipment

thet we are not taking needless shortcuts

that we do not approach every single person task "mob handed"

etc

etc

etc

Some time ago I watched a team of council workers lifting the crowns of some trees on a small patch of public land just over the road from my office. 3 trucks and 6 or 7 blokes spent most of the day there and did (without a single word of exaggeration) what I would have expected to do on my own in about 2 hours. 

Edit. And don't even get me started on their technique. One bloke drives under the trees whilst the other stands in the back of the tipper with a pole saw. 

Edited by Retired Climber
Wanted to moan a bit more.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Control the food supply.. control the people, I don't think that the water supply is any different and I trust nothing that the dolts try to feed me, it's all by design, imo only.

Luckily were not metered  for water up here .. but regardless I don't drink it anyway... this is what's in Scottish water and it's not pleasant, so I just drink and cook with H2O and if it has dissolved minerals in it all the better👍

WWW.WHATDOTHEYKNOW.COM

Could you please supply details, broken down by month, of all chemical additives used in the mains water supply serving Ardersier from 1st January 2016 to December 2016. Regards...

You're right, that's not pleasant. No worse than the crap in most processed food though.

What's your means of private H2O supply; well, spring, borehole? It is tempting to be self-sufficient in water but it's not always practical and even underground sources are going to dry up at this rate anyway.

What would make sense would be for households to be self-sufficient in non-drinking water. It's a pointless waste to all be using expensive treated water to water the garden, wash the car or flush straight down the toilet. That could all be done with harvested rainwater or minimally home treated "grey water". I believe this is a lot more common in Germany for instance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retired Climber said:

Some time ago I watched a team of council workers lifting the crowns of some trees on a small patch of public land just over the road from my office. 3 trucks and 6 or 7 blokes spent most of the day there and did (without a single word of exaggeration) what I would have expected to do on my own in about 2 hours. 

Edit. And don't even get me started on their technique. One bloke drives under the trees whilst the other stands in the back of the tipper with a pole saw. 

Exactly, precisely.

Which was why I started clearing the fallen trees and limbs in the park, on my own, with my own chainsaw, and the wonderful wee 3720 JD with loader.

I got more done, without fuss in a few hours, than a squad of my staff would have done in a day. Mostly because they spent more time cutting firewood for themselves and transporting it to their homes in Council transport during working hours.

But I was powerless to interfere because of "old boy" and Lodge connections.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sime42 said:

What's your means of private H2O supply

In the Highlands several natural springs so just go and fill water cooler bottles whenever needed.. in town just bottled spring water at about £1 per gallon, which I don't mind just to get clean water except of course for the plastic containers.

The main thing for me is not to drink any of these bloody awful chemicals if I don't have to and the fact that they really don't want to reveal this info and that it took a FOI request speaks volumes..

I have next to zero trust in the motives of industrially fecking with things that we cannot do without and the long term effects of such.

Here in Scotland luckily the water isn't Fluoridated but much of the western world is the opposite and I really don't think it has anything to do with the dogmatic lie that it's good for your teeth... I have my own opinion on the reason for this..., enough to say that I don't think that any of the Halogens are any good for the intellect not to mention anything else.. essentially they are poisons👎

For many years now I've treated tap water as grey and don't even put it on my veggies... as for processed food I avoid it as much as possible although that gets harder every day, cheers.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

In the Highlands several natural springs so just go and fill water cooler bottles whenever needed.. in town just bottled spring water at about £1 per gallon, which I don't mind just to get clean water except of course for the plastic containers.

The main thing for me is not to drink any of these bloody awful chemicals if I don't have to and the fact that they really don't want to reveal this info and that it took a FOI request speaks volumes..

I have next to zero trust in the motives of industrially fecking with things that we cannot do without and the long term effects of such.

Here in Scotland luckily the water isn't Fluoridated but much of the western world is the opposite and I really don't think it has anything to do with the dogmatic lie that it's good for your teeth... I have my own opinion on the reason for this..., enough to say that I don't think that any of the Halogens are any good for the intellect not to mention anything else.. essentially they are poisons👎

For many years now I've treated tap water as grey and don't even put it on my veggies... as for processed food I avoid it as much as possible although that gets harder every day, cheers.

I’m lucky  in as much as I’ve got a borehole and on a couple of occasions I’ve lined up glasses of bottled versus water from the well and invariably people will pick the bore hole water as being nicest. I’ve been reading a lot lately about increasing levels of dementia ( due to my mother’s situation)  in the western/developed world and research about additives in foodstuffs nowadays. I know the die hard follow the science disciples will think it’s conspiracy bullshit but do a bit of digging and you will soon get your eyes opened. 

• Like 4