Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

13 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

So the bloke who spends an awful lot of time on here telling us how much he earns, how clever he is and how dumb we all are, doesn’t like how much tax he pays?

It’s Friday night, so I’m treating myself with a gif.

3E4B46F5-04B3-4AC6-8D88-1AACA0917357.gif

Since you quoted my post I assume you’re referring to me? 

There's some highly intelligent people here. I don’t consider myself anywhere as near as clever as these individuals and I’d be interested in what posts you’re referring to where I’ve stated that I consider myself clever. I certainly don’t remember doing so and I’m quite happy being average or slightly above average in intelligence. I do know that I’ve mentioned a few times that my wife is by far the more intelligent of the two of us and that’s where our children have inherited their intelligence from.

I think the tax that is paid in the U.K. for someone earning the wage I do is disproportionate. The thing is I don’t pay tax in the U.K. I pay tax in Norway which has a far more balanced and fair tax system. So you’re wrong, I’m satisfied with the tax I pay. I’m also extremely satisfied with the state pension I earn in Norway, the sick leave pay, the child benefit payments and the paternity leave (or cash payments). The UK State Pension will be a nice wee top off bonus.

We certainly are laughing, but I’ll leave the gifs to you and Les. Both about as childish as each other. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I thought you lived in Scotland, do you live in Norway then?

Again, if you’re referring to me then I’ll happily reply. 

Yes, I live in Scotland but I work in Norway. I’m employed full time on a Norwegian Contract and have been so since 2009. There is a reciprocal tax agreement between the UK and Norway so that we are taxed in the country we work and not the country we reside. 

Although I pay a significant portion of my tax in Norway I do still pay some tax in the U.K. and make voluntary NI contributions. Im

happy with the tax I currently pay in both countries. My U.K. tax contributions certainly covers my younger daughters education and their access to the NHS, I like to look upon the surplus as a donation to the more needy. 

My Norwegian tax allows me access to a far higher standard of working life. A Work Pension that I don’t contribute to that paid in 5% of total earnings a year.  A world class State Pension that is more of a personal pot that increases the more you earn. Unparalleled Sick Leave within the EU allowing a full years Sick Leave on full pay. Child Benefit for all children under 18 years of age. 

In short high taxation with benefits  for all, not just the workshy or uneducated. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

It should be like that now! Far to many pay virtually nothing in tax. Even at £30k a year income tax is only £3,500. 

Tax is a difficult one to judge but on your earlier statement that £60k is a working class wage (and therefore traditionally one that attracts less tax) then why should someone on £30k be paying any? Surely they need all of it to get by in current circumstances?

Just now, Puffingbilly413 said:

Tax is a difficult one to judge but on your earlier statement that £60k is a working class wage (and therefore traditionally one that attracts less tax) then why should someone on £30k be paying any? Surely they need all of it to get by in current circumstances?

Everyone should pay tax, end of. If you're earning a wage you should be contributing a fair share. I dont believe £3500 is a far share of £30,000, not when that person is entitled to benefits that will greatly diminish that 'contribution'. 

As Ive also previously mentions the system in Norway vastly fairer. The tax burden is far more evenly distributed and the tax free threshold is significantly lower than the UK. 

Anyway.........time for some news. Its not really news to be fair, given the current state of affairs, but it's certainly more befitting of this thread than the perpetual tax whine and rant.

More people could face hosepipe bans, with five companies already announcing restrictions on water use.

My neighbour who inexplicably enjoys jet washing his already spotless car, drive and decking almost every weekend is going to have to curtail his fun for the next few months.

That's one thing, people can live with grubby cars, but the inevitable further rise in food prices is going be more problematic. Gonna be expensive to farm anything with no fuel and no water.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Honda said:

All homes should be on water meters. If electricity was supplied unmetered then we would need to build dozens more power stations.  

Water companies would no doubt see the pound signs before their eyes spinning wildly, maybe those very same companies should be held to account in regards leaks and avoidable losses. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Honda said:

All homes should be on water meters. If electricity was supplied unmetered then we would need to build dozens more power stations.  

Completely agree. It's crazy that people can use or abuse as much water as they like.

The water companies should themselves be on meters as well, so as to be more accountable for their leaks and losses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Completely agree. It's crazy that people can use or abuse as much water as they like.

The water companies should themselves be on meters as well, so as to be more accountable for their leaks and losses.

The current madness you see regards energy prices being hiked would be exactly the same with water meters if implemented. Be careful what you wish for, essential services such as water being an even more profitable business than it already is  ( masquerading under environmental credentials) for companies that only has one driving force ie profit is a dangerous road to go down. As was the case throughout the last couple of years of stupidity a targeted sensible approach and educating people has to worth a try rather than sledgehammer nanny state approach. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2