Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

41 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I agree that earning good money doesn't change one's class. I think I actually 'liked' the post in which you originally said that.

However. I also agree with @trigger_andy that what you seem to think as good money is firmly in working class territory anyway, therefore making the point somewhat moot. In my mind, anyone on the kind of money mentioned is only a few pay cheques away from destitute, not 'on good money'. 

I don't know enough about the RMT strikes to have a worthwhile.opinion on the matter, but do take your point. 

I know your initial point was not directed at me but surely your earnings and how you spend your money does change your class? There is a number of generally accepted key indicators that define your social class, this has nothing to do with how you conduct yourself. Fore example you could be a cleaner or Arb worker on minimum wage and be a lovely person who is a great father/mother, role model and does volunteering on the weekends, none of that will change the fact this person is working class as the key indicators define that class. The same goes for someone who is middle or upper class, they might be total arseholes and abuse their family and employees but being a horrid person does not define their social class either, the key indicators do.

For example, Rishi Sunak is clearly Upper to Elite Class.  How do we know or define this? Clearly its not according to his personality or how nice a person he is.  We can hardly say that he's a despicable POS therefore he must be working class can we? 

Wages are being eroded and inflated away in the UK, the only way to mitigate this is through strike action. I am in the very fortunate position to be employed in Norway where Unions and strike action are not seen in a negative light as they are in the UK. There is far to many jealous people in the UK who would rather see the Train Drivers lose their £60k a year instead of using this as a benchmark to better increase their wages. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I know your initial point was not directed at me but surely your earnings and how you spend your money does change your class? There is a number of generally accepted key indicators that define your social class, this has nothing to do with how you conduct yourself. Fore example you could be a cleaner or Arb worker on minimum wage and be a lovely person who is a great father/mother, role model and does volunteering on the weekends, none of that will change the fact this person is working class as the key indicators define that class. The same goes for someone who is middle or upper class, they might be total arseholes and abuse their family and employees but being a horrid person does not define their social class either, the key indicators do.

Wages are being eroded and inflated away in the UK, the only way to mitigate this is through strike action. I am in the very fortunate position to be employed in Norway where Unions and strike action are not seen in a negative light as they are in the UK. There is far to many jealous people in the UK who would rather see the Train Drivers lose their £60k a year instead of using this as a benchmark to better increase their wages. 

For example, Rishi Sunak is clearly Upper to Elite Class.  How do we know or define this? Clearly its not according to his personality or how nice a person he is.  We can hardly say that he's a despicable POS therefore he must we working class can we? 

It's coming trig, as I've said before, railway workers, barristers, postal workers, et al are going on strike. No ifs, no buts. Personally I'm fairly comfortable, but I speak to many that aren't.

This tighten ya belt attitude will (is) be the downfall of these countries.

• Like 1

Just now, eggsarascal said:

It's coming trig, as I've said before, railway workers, barristers, postal workers, et al are going on strike. No ifs, no buts. Personally I'm fairly comfortable, but I speak to many that aren't.

This tighten ya belt attitude will (is) be the downfall of these countries.

In the O&G Service industry here in Norway its law that we have the right to strike every second year if wage and condition negotiations are not agreed. Last year was the year where the Unions negotiate but are not allowed to strike and we still got 3% on our wages. This year the Unions can bark as well as bite so will go for significant improvements. 

Im glad there is so many industries standing up for themselves here in the UK. Wages have stagnated for far to long and inflation is stripping them even further. There needs to be a huge step change and the only way to force that through is industrial action and with the backing of the population. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

In the O&G Service industry here in Norway its law that we have the right to strike every second year if wage and condition negotiations are not agreed. Last year was the year where the Unions negotiate but are not allowed to strike and we still got 3% on our wages. This year the Unions can bark as well as bite so will go for significant improvements. 

Im glad there is so many industries standing up for themselves here in the UK. Wages have stagnated for far to long and inflation is stripping them even further. There needs to be a huge step change and the only way to force that through is industrial action and with the backing of the population. 

I'm very mixed over striking, I was close to it when I worked for the water authority, we were being dicked to the tune of £10k/year, for the same amount of work!? I didn't fancy that much.

• Like 1

The 41% plus NI tax hit after £43600  in Scotland does a very good job of keeping you in your place or indeed discouraging you from working hard past a certain point. I’ve spent years working away or offshore and missed a huge part of my 6 kids growing up for what ??? To give nearly half to utter fools🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Not sure if money changes who you are class wise I’ve been skint and also earned a six figure plus yearly wage, didn’t make much of a difference on my part I feel. I still put the overalls on in the morning and get on with stuff either way. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

But you still only pay between 19 and 21% on what you earn up to that £43,600 surely, plus up to £100k you have your tax free allowance?

Unless you earn so much that those figures are negligible?

I earn what I earn by grafting my arse off for a min 14 hrs a day 7days a week offshore  trying to get on in life. 43600 is not a big wage as far as I’m concerned. The tax bands in Scotland are in place to favour the SNPs power base and nothing more. As Andy says why should I be penalised for working hard in regards my tax free allowance. It’s like you have listened to Sturgeon referring to those who are earning over £43600 as the  richest 10% in society 🤑 designed to do nothing g more than generate envy or put it another way divide and conquer. 25% flat rate across the board after 15k tax free allowance would be my answer 👍👍simple and easy to sort out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Its criminal they start to take your tax free allowance off of you once you go over £100k. 

Not that it affects me, but yes, sneaky and unnecessary.

Every chancellor that I can remember since I cared enough to listen has pledged to make the taxation system more simple, transparent, and easier to understand.

Yet they never do.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

It’s like you have listened to Sturgeon referring to those who are earning over £43600 as the  richest 10% in society

I detest Nicola Sturgeon with a passion which terrifies me.

Therefore I ignore her as much as humanly possible, and then some more.

Merely pointing out the inaccuracy of you stating that "nearly half" is taken of you when it isn't, it only serves to somewhat discredit an otherwise valid point.