Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

11 hours ago, Commando said:

Train drivers on £60k salaries…working class my arse!

£60k is very much a working class wage though. We have just grown far to used to living on slave wages. If you take the traditional mortgage being three times your salary £60k does not even buy you an ex-council house these days. With the cost of running a car, utilities, food etc £60k will not afford you anything over a very basic working class lifestyle. Long gone are the days that an average working class man could support his family on a single wage. To think people these days thinks £30k is a good wage would be laughable if it was not so sad. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

All of this under a Conservative government!

Lads around here are £250/300-day laying bricks, I'm not knocking Brickie's, but are they working class, of course they are, they haven't changed because they've got more money.

Some analogy there Eggs…😄🙄

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

£60k is very much a working class wage though. We have just grown far to used to living on slave wages. If you take the traditional mortgage being three times your salary £60k does not even buy you an ex-council house these days. With the cost of running a car, utilities, food etc £60k will not afford you anything over a very basic working class lifestyle. Long gone are the days that an average working class man could support his family on a single wage. To think people these days thinks £30k is a good wage would be laughable if it was not so sad. 

Maybe you’re looking at life through a pair of O&G tinted safety glasses mate.

According to Cambridge Dictionary - “belonging to a social group that consists of people who earn less than other groups, often being paid only for the hours or days that they work, and who usually do physical work rather than work for which you need an advanced education

14 minutes ago, Commando said:

Some analogy there Eggs…😄🙄

What analogy do you want, something I don't know about, or something that I see most days?

The average wage around here is about £24K, someone earning double, triple of that doesn't all of a sudden jump them up a class in life.

Take ya bollox back.

Oh, and why I'm at it, remember the expression, can't pay, won't pay?... It's right back.

34 minutes ago, Commando said:

Maybe you’re looking at life through a pair of O&G tinted safety glasses mate.

According to Cambridge Dictionary - “belonging to a social group that consists of people who earn less than other groups, often being paid only for the hours or days that they work, and who usually do physical work rather than work for which you need an advanced education

I dont believe I am looking at this through O&G tinted glasses though. I feel its irrelevant in this instance. 

The Cambridge definition does not exclude a £60k wage as a working class one as far as I can tell. 

1, belonging to a social group that consists of people who earn less than other groups, -£60k is still less than other groups though, for example O&G, Banking, Insurance, NHS Diversity and Inclusion Officers. :D 

2, often being paid only for the hours or days that they work, and who usually do physical work rather than work for which you need an advanced education”- As Eggs mentioned, there is plenty out there on £200-£300 a day who are paid for physical labour and the hours that they work. £250 a day for 24 days a month and 12 months a year is £72,000 a year. Taking some holidays and you'll still be over £60k a year. My own Brother who is in the building trade and basically does odd-jobbing these days has made over £75k so far this year. 

£60k is not a great wage in the traditional nuclear family setting is it? With a single income from either spouse, you'll live an ok working class lifestyle off of that. You'll not be able to afford to buy much of a house on that wage. You certainly will not be able to afford more than one average holiday a year. You not afford any of the indicators that mark a family as middle class thats for sure. Even if both partners earn £60k a year you might find yourself on the bottom rung of middle class but I dont you'll be taking two exotic holidays a year, have two new vehicles, have a large detached house with grounds, or send your children to private school. 

People have gotten far to used to living on £120 a day and thinking thats a good wage. Thats laborer money. Even my 19 year old is getting over £10 an hour working at KFC ffs. :D Now thats a working class job. ;)

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

People have gotten far to used to living on £120 a day and thinking thats a good wage. Thats laborer money. Even my 19 year old is getting over £10 an hour working at KFC ffs. :D Now thats a working class job. ;)

Is it all about money? There's some landed gentry (who are surely upper class) earning less money than a kfc wage

Either way, "you is what you is" we all came into the world screaming and naked, and some of us will leave in the same way too :afraid:

Just now, scbk said:

Is it all about money? There's some landed gentry (who are surely upper class) earning less money than a kfc wage

Either way, "you is what you is" we all came into the world screaming and naked, and some of us will leave in the same way too :afraid:

Yes, its all about money. They may be asset rich put cash poor but if they sell their estates for they will have a lot of money. They have the money, its just all tied up and generally done so to avoid paying tax. You're taxed on your earnings, if you dont earn money (on paper) you dont pay tax. That how they are rich. Only the plebs pay tax. 

When I go I want to go like my Grandfather soundly sleeping, not like his passengers screaming as they drove off the bridge. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, scbk said:

Yes, it is all about money when inflation and energy costs are spiralling. Then you've got dick heads banging on about train drivers being on strike... MOST train drivers aren't on strike, MOST train drivers aren't even members of the RMT. But don't let the facts get in the way.

17 minutes ago, scbk said:

It's not all about money. Class is about influence. Money is often a by-product of influence, hence the link. 

• Like 1